Under Heating????? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
totalchaos is on a distinguished road
Under Heating?????

So I been driving my 2000 328ci for the last couple days and today it didn't heat up. I was driving home from Wal-Mart and I noticed the heat was really kicking in and I checked the temp gauge and it was cold. What could this be? Thermostat stuck?? The car was sitting for 8 months when I bought it Tuesday and that was the first time it had been driven in 8 months. I parked it in the garage but my lights are out and I can;t check the fluid level right now. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem
totalchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
OMFG another one!?

Car: 89 E30 325i, 2007 Honda
Photos:
witeshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nice
That does seem like a thermostat issue.

Sig by zeaq
witeshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
totalchaos is on a distinguished road
Now this is my first BMW is it about as easy to change in a Bimmer as any other car?
totalchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
OMFG another one!?

Car: 89 E30 325i, 2007 Honda
Photos:
witeshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nice
Most likely pretty much; but be careful and informed about the coolant bleed (of air) and refill procedure.

Sig by zeaq
witeshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
If its been stood for 8 months, I would do a full coolant change while your doing the stat and definitely an oil and filter change...

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Yes, it is a very straight-forward job. I just changed the thermostat on my car a couple of weeks ago. Is your car an automatic or a manual? On the automatic, you probably will have to remove the engine-driven radiator cooling fan to get undisturbed access to the thermostat. You will have to pull out the electrical fan on regardless of transmission.

The thermostat is electrically heated, so it will have a harness you need to disconnect and reconnect once done. By the way, the sucker is expensive: around $65, but the thermostat an a new housing come together as one part.

Oh,, you will also have ot remove the plastic splash guard from under teh engine bay for the coolant to drip out.

I am sorry all tehse pointers are so scattered. RUn an online search for E46 thermostat DIY and you will find step-by-step instructions. I don't think we have a DIY on our forum yet.

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2010, 01:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 88 super ETA, 95 525i
Photos:
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalchaos View Post
So I been driving my 2000 328ci for the last couple days and today it didn't heat up. I was driving home from Wal-Mart and I noticed the heat was really kicking in and I checked the temp gauge and it was cold. What could this be? Thermostat stuck?? The car was sitting for 8 months when I bought it Tuesday and that was the first time it had been driven in 8 months. I parked it in the garage but my lights are out and I can;t check the fluid level right now. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem
if you mean you have a running engine and have cabin heat, but temperature guage needle is leftward as in COLD.... i would say a loose wire in the temp guage circuit; or defective temp guage(not likely, though)

check also temp guage sensor for integrity & connection... it's under the exhaust manifold.
darkhorse737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
^^ Try what darkhorse said before you go on to change the thermostat.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
maxamillion is on a distinguished road
Had the same problem and it was the theromastat, if you have a 325i 2002 model you have to buy a 32 mm long wrench and a 47.00 special wrench to get the fan off so you can get to the thermostat housing, very easy to do ( the tool is a counter holder fan removal tool at Pelican Parts it is 47.00 after shipping) you will need it for other parts replacing later on like the waterpump and belts so good investment trust me. O ya you have to take the fan shroud off witch is easy to do.
maxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)