BMW Werkz banner

Turning Computer (or Temp Display) On?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  AIO 
#1 ·
Just wondering - anyone know if it is possible to 'turn on' the trip computer in e46's without the computer option?
I know in some cars (Porsches for example) it is possible for the dealer to turn on the trip computer for cars not outfitted with the option. Of course, there is no way to control the computer unless you install a switch to toggle the display, etc. But it may be possible to turn on the display and have it read outside temp. I know this is the case with Porsches.
It makes sense to me that all the cars would be built at least with the capability because designing two electrical systems for cars without it would be more expensive. But then you can charge the customer extra for the option which basically consists of a switch.
My main concern is not having an outside temp reading for driving around in the winter. I have a hard time believing BMW makes cars without this basic feature. Even my 1986 535i had an outside digital temp display (not to mention just about every decent car I've been in).

Thanks,
Tony

#2 ·
Originally posted by Superfry@Jan 10 2005, 10:17 PM
Just wondering - anyone know if it is possible to 'turn on' the trip computer in e46's without the computer option?
I know in some cars (Porsches for example) it is possible for the dealer to turn on the trip computer for cars not outfitted with the option. Of course, there is no way to control the computer unless you install a switch to toggle the display, etc. But it may be possible to turn on the display and have it read outside temp. I know this is the case with Porsches.
It makes sense to me that all the cars would be built at least with the capability because designing two electrical systems for cars without it would be more expensive. But then you can charge the customer extra for the option which basically consists of a switch.
My main concern is not having an outside temp reading for driving around in the winter. I have a hard time believing BMW makes cars without this basic feature. Even my 1986 535i had an outside digital temp display (not to mention just about every decent car I've been in).

Thanks,
Tony
[snapback]268639[/snapback]​
I totally agree. I don't get why I would need to buy the optional board computer just to read the outside temperature which only requires a simple temperature sensor and a cheap'n common analog/digital converter circuitry. I wonder what kind of Einstein at BMW merged the temperature readout into the board computer. :screwy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.