BMW Werkz banner

Turn Signal Issues Help

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  warell 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 328. The other day the dash indicated that my turn signal was out.. No biggie right. Well while driving it went off good right. well now it when I start the turn signal doesn't work.. But if I turn the headlights off and on and the turn signal off and on it wil work for a while.. This sounds like more than a loose connection where I need to make sure the bulb is in tight... Any ideas.. its outta warranty.. I don't want to spend a lot of $$

#2 ·
could be a break in the bulb itself, but the electrical force fuses the two ends that are broken for that momentary time untill you turn the car off, i had this happen in my honda civic way back when, if you looked at the bulb it looked all fine, but it was actually broken. i would notice it wouldnt work at first start up but after a while i noticed it would be working.

my first suggestion is to try changing the bulbs, second thing is to investigate further for a loose connection.

OH and welcome to bmw forums, i am gonna move this thread to its proper location. e46

#3 ·
Take the turn signal out and where the base of the bulb contacts a thin strip of metal in the bulb housing there is most likely a problem I have had both front signals act this way. How I remedied it was by cleaning this thin strip of metal and applying bulb grease to the base of the new bulb and the contact. I have not had a problem since.
Ben

#4 ·
Whats very common on the e46's is the bulb socket which the bulb plugs into gets corroded or burnt, Most likely you will need to replace the bulb and the socket. You can verify this by inspecting the bulb and socket and you will be able to visually see the dark discoloration.

DT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.