Turn Signal Issues Help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:56 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
warell is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have a 2000 328. The other day the dash indicated that my turn signal was out.. No biggie right. Well while driving it went off good right. well now it when I start the turn signal doesn't work.. But if I turn the headlights off and on and the turn signal off and on it wil work for a while.. This sounds like more than a loose connection where I need to make sure the bulb is in tight... Any ideas.. its outta warranty.. I don't want to spend a lot of $$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 12:37 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
could be a break in the bulb itself, but the electrical force fuses the two ends that are broken for that momentary time untill you turn the car off, i had this happen in my honda civic way back when, if you looked at the bulb it looked all fine, but it was actually broken. i would notice it wouldnt work at first start up but after a while i noticed it would be working.

my first suggestion is to try changing the bulbs, second thing is to investigate further for a loose connection.

OH and welcome to bmw forums, i am gonna move this thread to its proper location. e46

#3 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:04 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute
Take the turn signal out and where the base of the bulb contacts a thin strip of metal in the bulb housing there is most likely a problem I have had both front signals act this way. How I remedied it was by cleaning this thin strip of metal and applying bulb grease to the base of the new bulb and the contact. I have not had a problem since.
Ben

"It's not because I'm an aggressive driver, it's because I'm an idiot" actual quote from my wife.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:45 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Whats very common on the e46's is the bulb socket which the bulb plugs into gets corroded or burnt, Most likely you will need to replace the bulb and the socket. You can verify this by inspecting the bulb and socket and you will be able to visually see the dark discoloration.

DT

DT

#5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:57 PM
n00b

warell is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thanks.. for all your help.. Is the bulb socket an easy thing to replace if I have too? Also where can I get a bulb socket does it have to be the dealer or can I go to my local auto parts store?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)