Trouble With 1st? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2005, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
brianlh is an unknown quantity at this point
maybe i'm just an idiot, but i never had trouble with shifting before on my toyota pickup (yea i know the clutches aren't the same, but that pickup actually had a pretty stiff clutch). sometimes when i am going from a stop to 1st gear, it seems as if there's some resistance preventing a shift into 1st. if i let go of the clutch, sure enough, i get grinding. at first i thought that it might have been a lazy foot, but once i actually had my left foot pretty much all the way to the floor and the gear still grinded when i tried to get into 1st. if i take it back out and do it again, it works fine. what might this be? i don't know a whole lot about my car (or cars in general yet), as it's a relatively new purchase and i've always had semi-junkers before that i didn't take great care of, so this may be something very simple.

is this something as simple as transmission fluid or simply bad driving? or is it possible that something else is wrong?
brianlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2005, 12:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
how many miles are on the car? and what year and kind of car is it? it could be a worn out clutch. or if the car has been abused in a past ownership it could aslo be a bad syncronizer for firts gear which would mean a transmission replacement is in order.
bryan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
brianlh is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by bryan1970@Apr 22 2005, 10:02 PM
how many miles are on the car? and what year and kind of car is it? it could be a worn out clutch. or if the car has been abused in a past ownership it could aslo be a bad syncronizer for firts gear which would mean a transmission replacement is in order.
[snapback]336709[/snapback]

a 2002 325i and it only has a little under 49000 miles on it. is it possible that it is these problems already? and if so, is there any way to distinguish between the two problems that you mentioned above before taking it to a mechanic?
brianlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Relevart is an unknown quantity at this point
There is third possibility:
That valve, that BMW installs in clutch hydraulic line before the clutch cylunder.
As far as worn clutch: I had suspision about my car and just stop by the dealership and ask service advisor, he ask technitian to take a ride with me, thechnician said the clutch is fine and quick test is to speed car up in first gear to just below redline, quickly shift to second, while releasing accelerator completely and drop the clutch. If rear wheels 'trip' then clutch fine.
As far as pumping clutch once before getting in the first, it was quite common on some of the older cars.
Relevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)