BMW Werkz banner

Transmission System Indicator Lamp

11K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  img001 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Has anyone experienced this to thier E46 before..... referring to this symbol (the one with the exclaimation symbol surrounded by gears - refer to photo attached)

This used to happen to me once in a while but lately it has been happening almost everyday! I got my car checked and it showed that the stall speed sensor needs replacing. I got it changed and the problems still persist!! Then my mechanic suggested to update the software but that too is useless.

This problem usually happens when I am idle (car not moving during traffic jams or when my car is stationary in "D") and I usually "reset" it by putting the car back to "P", set the handbrake, off both air cond and radio and then off the engine. I will then start again after about 10 seconds and the car is back to normal until it happens again. When the indicator lamp is on, the car is still drivable but it seems to be stuck in one gear.

When the indicator lamp comes on, I noticed the the revs are inconsistent (up and down between 500 to 700). Usually under normal conditions my revs are at 650 rpm on idle.

So I was wondering, if anyone out has faced this same/similar problem. I am hoping that you could guide me with your experience. Thanking you guys in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Has it had a fluid & filter change ??? 70-80,000 miles then every 30-40,000 miles, BMW life time advert is a total load of rubbish, a change normally sorts a lot of problems out.

#4 ·
What was it like before this ?, if it was ok, I would say you have low fluid level !!!

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks Marti5!

I recently changed the stall speed sensor when I diagnosed the problem. The mechanic had removed all the fluid and changed the filter when he replaced the stall speed sensor. But the problem still persist.

I spoke to many people after that about it and some even suggested to change the battery (which I did). That too didn't help. Another mechanic told me that the transmission control module need to be replaced while another told me to change the gear position switch. Both these guys sound confident as they both have dealt with similar problems before but am so confused and don't what to replace unnecessary stuff let alone spend more money!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.