Transmission Flush - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Car: 03 Bmw 325i
Posts: 26
Photos:
fasaavedra4 is on a distinguished road
Transmission Flush

Hi everyone, need more advice here :

my 03 325i has 100k miles, never done a transmission flush...

1. Should i get it done ?

2. what is the benefits of doing so ? will shifting be smoother??

Thanks for all the answers.
fasaavedra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-13-2009, 08:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b
 
bmwinsider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta
Car: 97 m3 "family sedan" & 87 325is
Posts: 32
Photos:
bmwinsider is on a distinguished road
yes, drain and fill even with lifetime fluids you need to change. have you ever heard what lifetime in milage meant? although there are serveral debates on this topic lifetime usually means 100,000 - 150,000 miles after 150,000 I would change fluids and filter (and clean magnets) because I have seen where the magnets look like they cannot pick up any more matelic sludge. then the filter gets clogged . all transmissions will wear and have matelic sludge. If you ask the dealer they will tell you NEVER change lifetime fluids. It is sort of a debate . PERSONALLY I would change at 100,000 - 150,000 miles as regular maint. If you have transmission trouble changing fluid will not help whatever damage is done is done and has to be fixed. Pull the trans and fix before it gets worse!
bmwinsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Miami, Fl and Mar del Plata, Argentina
Car: Metamorphosis of the E34/92
Posts: 42
Photos:
Bimmermann is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwinsider View Post
yes, drain and fill even with lifetime fluids you need to change. have you ever heard what lifetime in milage meant? although there are serveral debates on this topic lifetime usually means 100,000 - 150,000 miles after 150,000 I would change fluids and filter (and clean magnets) because I have seen where the magnets look like they cannot pick up any more matelic sludge. then the filter gets clogged . all transmissions will wear and have matelic sludge. If you ask the dealer they will tell you NEVER change lifetime fluids. It is sort of a debate . PERSONALLY I would change at 100,000 - 150,000 miles as regular maint. If you have transmission trouble changing fluid will not help whatever damage is done is done and has to be fixed. Pull the trans and fix before it gets worse!
x2 in spades.
Bimmermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Help from over the pond
 
marti5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: IPSWICH. U.K.
Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Posts: 3,242
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
You should benefit from smoother shifting, if when its cold it shifts smoothly at the moment ( just normal pull away and not full throttle), if however you are getting hard shifts when cold then one or more of the clutch packs are worn.
__________________
VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mr. Clean
 
BimmerE39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Danbury, Connecticut
Car: Titanium Silver E39 / 2011 BMW M3
Posts: 1,817
Photos:
BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
I've flushed my transmission every 30,000 miles or 2 years. Usually, it's every 2 years because I don't drive more than 8,000 miles per year with my car. You'll definitely notice an improvement after the old fluid is removed and is replaced with fresh new fluid.
__________________
BimmerE39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Help from over the pond
 
marti5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: IPSWICH. U.K.
Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Posts: 3,242
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerE39 View Post
I've flushed my transmission every 30,000 miles or 2 years. Usually, it's every 2 years because I don't drive more than 8,000 miles per year with my car. You'll definitely notice an improvement after the old fluid is removed and is replaced with fresh new fluid.
May I ask how you flush the transmission ?, and what procedure and product do you use, or do you mean you just change the fluid and filter as I do every 30k or 2yrs, although I do mine twice as there is still 2.5 ltrs in the torque convertor.
__________________
VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!

Last edited by marti5; 07-14-2009 at 12:10 PM.
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b
 
bmwinsider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta
Car: 97 m3 "family sedan" & 87 325is
Posts: 32
Photos:
bmwinsider is on a distinguished road
How you Change fluid depends on the type of transmission you have. Mostly change the fluid and filter as you cannot get all the old fluid out unless you pull the torque converter and drain. IMO I would drain the trans fluid,(leave the torque converter alone) change the filter, clean the magnets, put new gasket on, refill with new fluid, wipe down any fluid around work area . Drive then check for leaks. Leaving the fluid in the torque converter will leave a little of the old metalic in the fluid which is what the dealer argues about the transmission needs. (B.S. if you ask me) If you dont want that pull your trans and drain your torque converter, or simply drain,fill, drain , fill ,drain and fill running the car between each drain and fill have fun and always use the right fluid for "YOUR" transmission.
__________________
Do you REALLY think we need security codes for stock radios , HOW ABOUT AN IGNITION CODE!

Last edited by bmwinsider; 07-14-2009 at 01:33 PM.
bmwinsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mr. Clean
 
BimmerE39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Danbury, Connecticut
Car: Titanium Silver E39 / 2011 BMW M3
Posts: 1,817
Photos:
BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marti5 View Post
May I ask how you flush the transmission ?, and what procedure and product do you use, or do you mean you just change the fluid and filter as I do every 30k or 2yrs, although I do mine twice as there is still 2.5 ltrs in the torque convertor.
Interesting you asked that question, because the last shop I took my car to had a machine that apparently can remove all of the old fluid while adding new fluid. I go to a different shop now so I'm doing it the old school way by just replacing the fluid and filter. Either way, as long as a majority of the old fluid is removed and new fluid is added along with a new filter it doesn't really matter.
__________________
BimmerE39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Help from over the pond
 
marti5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: IPSWICH. U.K.
Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Posts: 3,242
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerE39 View Post
Interesting you asked that question, because the last shop I took my car to had a machine that apparently can remove all of the old fluid while adding new fluid. I go to a different shop now so I'm doing it the old school way by just replacing the fluid and filter. Either way, as long as a majority of the old fluid is removed and new fluid is added along with a new filter it doesn't really matter.
Thanks for both replies.

The reason I asked was I went to Dortmund Germany ZF where they make our transmissions for a service and they rebuilt the valve control body and new filter and fluid.

This is not me me but same procedure as I followed the advise of the writer:


My visit at ZF Dortmund for Gearbox maintenance.(very, very long!) HUGH RESULT!!
__________________
VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mr. Clean
 
BimmerE39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Danbury, Connecticut
Car: Titanium Silver E39 / 2011 BMW M3
Posts: 1,817
Photos:
BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Awesome! I wish I could do that. The only problem is the Atlantic Ocean is in the way of me being able to do it.
__________________
BimmerE39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Help from over the pond
 
marti5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: IPSWICH. U.K.
Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Posts: 3,242
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerE39 View Post
Awesome! I wish I could do that. The only problem is the Atlantic Ocean is in the way of me being able to do it.
You have ZF in USA & Canada
__________________
VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b
 
bmwinsider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta
Car: 97 m3 "family sedan" & 87 325is
Posts: 32
Photos:
bmwinsider is on a distinguished road
That would be a great trip to do in my opion. That would be a vacation trip for me. Wow what detail in a GREAT shop! I would LOVE watching them do all that work .All I can say is WOW!
__________________
Do you REALLY think we need security codes for stock radios , HOW ABOUT AN IGNITION CODE!
bmwinsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mr. Clean
 
BimmerE39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Danbury, Connecticut
Car: Titanium Silver E39 / 2011 BMW M3
Posts: 1,817
Photos:
BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marti5 View Post
You have ZF in USA & Canada
Did not know that. Boy do I feel dumb now...
__________________
BimmerE39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmition Flush 95tanbimmer540 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) 1 02-06-2009 04:42 AM
Manual Transmission Flush Henri 3-Series (E36) 11 10-24-2005 06:24 PM
Coolant Flush Bunny Capricorn 3-Series (E21, E30) 3 08-10-2005 07:17 AM
Using Engine Flush hitz 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) 0 07-29-2005 11:21 AM
Transmission Flush - What Say You Re: Fluid rsn48 3-Series (E36) 3 03-15-2005 07:18 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.