BMW Werkz banner

tranny swap

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  marti5 
#1 ·
was wondering if a automatic transmission can be changedc to a manual tranny??? and would it be more expensive to do that or just have my auto one rebuilt???? I have a 2003 325i.

#3 ·
Actually, it can be done, but you or your mechanic really need to know what you are doing. Personally, I would not attempt it. Neil @ e46fanatics has done it. What is the problem w/ your automatic? This is an important question, because sometimes solenoid issues (hundred of dollars) are mistaken for mechanical issues (thousands of dollars).

#4 · (Edited)
chet31

the car shifts hard in two gears, kind of jerks into gear sometimes but I am afraid of a trans. service because of two bad past experiences of my own plus what I have read on doing that. I bought the car with 80k on it but dont know the maintenance history. I was just wondering about the swap over to a manual tranny if it turns out that i will need a new transmission.

#9 ·
the car shifts hard in two gears, kind of jerks into gear sometimes but I am afraid of a trans. service because of two bad past experiences of my own plus what I have read on doing that. I bought the car with 80k on it but dont know the maintenance history. I was just wondering about the swap over to a manual tranny if it turns out that i will need a new transmission.
My car shifts harshly from 1st to 2nd when I really floor it, that is fairly common. Don't have a problem with other gears.

Some people have had luck getting their tranny software reflashed, which has to be done at a dealer, but only costs a few hundred bucks. Solenoids and torque converters are cheaper than tranny swaps (manual or auto). Just saying, don't just assume your tranny is dead.

You have to find a tranny guy you can trust. I have one here in Madison, but even he can't really diagnose a problem unless he opens up the tranny. So, start cheap, and work your way forward. The fluid/filter change mentioned is a good place to start.

#13 ·
I would do the flush yourself. As long as the fluid is not really really bad or smell really burnt, you should not have any issues. I flushed my Volvo's transmission when I got it 188K and it had no history of it ever being done. The transmission shifts a lot better now. It is not perfect all the time, but 99% it is.

#18 ·
These are my DIY instructions for a 7 series, yours will differ slightly but not that much, when you take it to the garage make sure they follow the refill procedure exactly as below:

To change auto gearbox Fluid and filter on an E38 you will need:

1) a torx T20 socket for the pan screws and filter screws (male)

2) a H8 Hex socket for the drain and fill plug (male)

3) a minimum 5ltrs TITAN ATF 4000

4) a new filter ( BMW )

5) new pan gasket ( BMW )

6) a garden sprayer ( to refill, works brill )

7) a suitable container for draining fluid and rags.

How to:

> car up minimum 400mm and level

> Start up.. 10mins turn off

> remove bottom plug and drain fluid / BEWARE HOT FLUID BURNS !! / safety goggles required

> replace pan plug

> remove all pan screws / clips that hold wires to the pan/ be careful there will be fluid still in the pan!!

> remove the 2 filter screws / there will be fluid left in the filter !!

> clean out pan and the four magnets/ lint free cloth / degreaser or brake cleaner

> clean surfaces for gasket

> screw in new filter / make sure its in flat and take care to get the 'O' ring in correct

> replace the four magnets

> place gasket on pan with a little fluid / replace pan

> Undo fill plug / drivers side rear

> start filling until fluid dribbles out / replace plug finger tight

> start car... go through all gear selections slowly 3 times keeping foot on brake / then in 'P' turn off after 10 mins

> undo filler plug fill some more until dribble comes out / plug back in finger tight

> Start car put in 'N' ....now be careful not to burn yourself!! whilst car running (Air-con on full blast) undo filler plug put more fluid in until it dribbles out again, put filler plug in and tighten.

> All done car down, fluid to a designated place!!

> Time for a cup of tea / can of beer or a ciggy

Note: the entire box takes 10 ltrs, but you will not require this as the torque convertor will still be half full and also the valve control body also contains more, I would say that a 7.5 ltr can will be enough, but please dont quote me!!

--------------------

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.