Trameling - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aloyouis is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
ghead

My 02 325i has begun to wonder around the road maddingly. No more driving with my knee I guess. I have done some research and found others that have the same problem and it is called "tramlining". Please....Please tell me how to fix this!

Thanks.

Also, what can you tellme about Falken Ziex 512 tires? I keep reading great reviews and am thinking of replacing my XGT H4's to try to solve this trameling issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 10:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
dude: tramlining. stems from that fact that trams (still in use in europe) run on rails, and the sensation you are experiencing is as if your car was driving on rails, and not really responding to YOUR steering inputs.

99% of the time it is the tires, some hi performance tires do this notoriously, especially when underinflated.

the other cause may be alignment.

falken tends to be cheap and have a decent, but NOT superior reputation. however try inflating the michelins first to 33-35 front, rear 35-38 psi. u lose nothing...
#3 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Had the alignment checked, it was fine.

Will adjust the inflation which is set to: front 30, rear 35 per the door panel, to your recomendation. (Try tosave a few bucks).

Would you say the Michelins I have now (replaced Contis) are better than the Falkens?

Thank you!
#4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 11:15 PM
3rd Gear Member

peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
i almost always found that door stickers result in handling that is too soft for my driving, and that wear pattern suggests underinflation. i always check cold (i e not driven more than 0.5 mile)

the pressures i recommended are not that different, but 3 to 5 psi in front often makes a HUGE difference.

i am sorry , but i found xgt to be the most wretched tire in existence. however, this was almost 6 years ago. to my driving it was horrible on water, substandard dry, and way too soft sidewall.

i do not want to recommend falkens to you cos i never drove a car with them, so i really have no clue. they may be good, but i just do not know.

if you want a decent all season tire, i had positive experience with bf goodrich kdws. there are many others though, perhaps a next post
#5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by peterkulesza@Jan 9 2005, 12:15 AM
i almost always found that door stickers result in handling that is too soft for my driving, and that wear pattern suggests underinflation. i always check cold (i e not driven more than 0.5 mile)

the pressures i recommended are not that different, but 3 to 5 psi in front often makes a HUGE difference.

i am sorry , but i found xgt to be the most wretched tire in existence. however, this was almost 6 years ago. to my driving it was horrible on water, substandard dry, and way too soft sidewall.

i do not want to recommend falkens to you cos i never drove a car with them, so i really have no clue. they may be good, but i just do not know.

if you want a decent all season tire, i had positive experience with bf goodrich kdws. there are many others though, perhaps a next post
[snapback]267197[/snapback]
No apologies needed. Thanks for the advice. I will post a new topic and ask...............
#6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 04:10 PM
n00b

greglacle is an unknown quantity at this point
Had same problem, after had an accident at my right front side. Almost everything on that side has been changed by the body shop.

After receiving my car, I was experiencing heavy tramlining issues.
After taking this to a certified mechanic, and after the mechanic took if for a test drive, he immediately returned and told me that the car wasn't save to drive, and that he felt the body shop
didn't control the arm alignments properly.

The Mechanic told me that the body shop did alignment of the tires and everything, but
did not control the alignment of the arm, and according to him it was way off. The spacer nut was almost at its end and the worse could have happened.

This mechanic is certified but he doesn't work at the BMW shop. The reason, is because
he's way cheaper than the BMW dealer.
Nevertheless, he fixed the problem, and the car drives amazingly now. No more tramlining issues.

I'm sure this info won't say much at this time, but if you want to get more specific information, reply back and I will contact the mechanic for a more detail description in what to look for in order to get this fixed. Perhaps I could submit pcitures.

cheers.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 05:21 AM
PMB
1st Gear Member

PMB is an unknown quantity at this point
The biggest cause of tramlining is fitting incorrect tires. Going too wide. It may look nice but it does not really help anything. Alignment can fix, or help to fix the problem. Have the garage set the alignment to toe in slightly. If the alignment is set to zero or to toe out it will cause tramlining and it will tend to wander at speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)