Traction control - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 03:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Guys/Gals:

DSC/traction control is set in the factory to be on without any driver's input. Driver's input is required to turn this thing off, each time the car is started.

I hate the fact that the DSC drives the car for me. BMW tells me that there is no way to reprogram the switch. I find this to be utter bullshit.

Who can join me in a petition to BMW to have the "DSC off until needed" option available on all beemers ?

I also can think of many examples when the DSC can kill me, such as when I step on the power after entering an intersection. I can handle power oversteer no problem, I cannot handle the car cutting off fuel supply and applying brakes without me requesting it.

Any takers ?

Peter ghead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 04:18 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to woobiee
umm DSC is 'on' all the time BUT DSC doesnt do much until it IS needed. DSC kicks in when it senses the wheels slipping etc. im actually for DSC since its a very good system. Its much better than say Mercedes where their stability control can be turned off, but it reactivates at like 20mph.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 04:38 PM

MrM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrM3
Quote:
Originally posted by woobiee@Aug 5 2003, 04:58 PM
umm DSC is 'on' all the time BUT DSC doesnt do much until it IS needed. DSC kicks in when it senses the wheels slipping etc. im actually for DSC since its a very good system. Its much better than say Mercedes where their stability control can be turned off, but it reactivates at like 20mph.
i agree with woobiee.

it's just pushing a button whats the big deal, its not good for the engine to be driven hard anyway when its cold. whenever i see an opprotunity to powerslide or fishtail i just hit the button, take the turn, the re-activate it. i have no problem with it at all. plus its also there to help you avoid unexpected loss of traction, sure its fun to slide around when your ready for it, but if it sneaks up on you,(ie unexpected water or ice patches) your in trouble and you'll be glad dsc kicked in.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 06:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
gentlemen:

let me elaborate on this:

i agree with your statements i.e. if you like the dsc, by all means have it on at all times and deactivate when you want to have fun.

however: all i want is to have a choice. i am not speaking out of my arse here, i do not get surprised by the car. i control it, and i am confident in my ability (i raced in scca european equivalent for years).

according to my personal preference, i find the dsc way too intrusive, and it does a shittier job of handling the car than i can, unassisted. this goes not only for my 330i, but also for a variety of 325i and 330d i drove very recently while in europe. i do not want the bloody electronic monkey on my back, and i often forget to deactivate this crap. then i get surprised when the car does not do what i want, which is unfortunately too often.

do you find the above reasonable ?

peter
#5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 06:52 PM
Fox

Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
hrmm yes i totally agree with you peter. However im not familiar with the new bmws electronics. Is there actually a button or is it a sequence? And if so is it a momentary switch or a on/off/on switch? Meaning when you push it does it go to its origional position or does it stay clicked in similar to a click pen? I have a feeling that because of BMWs design style it will be a momentary switch. If it is that means everything is on a computer set switch and is not similar to a permanent on off type light switch deal but is reset everytime the car is restarted and will always be in the on setting. Unless you can get the computer reprogrammed, I do not believe any other way around it. If you could send me a picture of it that might be helpful

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Fox</span></span> <span style='color:gray'>the Pirate</span>
Diplomacy is saying &quot;nice doggy&quot; until you find a rock.</span>

I live my life one quarter mile at a time, and for those 23 or more seconds I'm free.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 07:00 PM
Ski
Sheer Driving Pleasure

Ski is an unknown quantity at this point
Just push the friggen button dude to de-activate..lol

My Jet Black's
'03 3.0i Z4 Loaded
'02 325Ci Loaded
'06 330xi Loaded
#7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 07:07 PM
Fox

well just tryin to help. He said he raced european. And i gotta respect the man who does euro race not shitty american race.

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Fox</span></span> <span style='color:gray'>the Pirate</span>

I live my life one quarter mile at a time, and for those 23 or more seconds I'm free.
#8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Ski
Sheer Driving Pleasure

Quote:
Originally posted by Fox@Aug 5 2003, 09:47 PM
well just tryin to help. He said he raced european. And i gotta respect the man who does euro race not shitty american race.
My statement wasn't directed towards you Fox..

My Jet Black's
'03 3.0i Z4 Loaded
'02 325Ci Loaded
'06 330xi Loaded
#9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 07:10 PM
Ski
Sheer Driving Pleasure

peterkulesza..welcome dude to the forums but I don't quite understand what the big deal is..

Edit: beemers bimmers

My Jet Black's
'03 3.0i Z4 Loaded
'02 325Ci Loaded
'06 330xi Loaded
#10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 07:10 PM
Fox

i love you ski. Do you have any kids?

I would like to purchase them.

#11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by peterkulesza@Aug 5 2003, 07:16 PM
gentlemen:

let me elaborate on this:

i agree with your statements i.e. if you like the dsc, by all means have it on at all times and deactivate when you want to have fun.

however: all i want is to have a choice. i am not speaking out of my arse here, i do not get surprised by the car. i control it, and i am confident in my ability (i raced in scca european equivalent for years).

according to my personal preference, i find the dsc way too intrusive, and it does a shittier job of handling the car than i can, unassisted. this goes not only for my 330i, but also for a variety of 325i and 330d i drove very recently while in europe. i do not want the bloody electronic monkey on my back, and i often forget to deactivate this crap. then i get surprised when the car does not do what i want, which is unfortunately too often.

do you find the above reasonable ?

peter
i totally understand where your comming from. of course an experienced driver like you would prefer to have total control of the car at all times. but once your in a relaxed driving mode its good to have it as a backup just incase something does happen, like i said before its for those unexpected panic or emergency situations that sometimes even the best drivers cant get out of. the situation is much different when your at risk of hitting someone else instead of just a curb or light pole.
#12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 07:16 PM
Fox

Im not exacltly sure how the system works but if it does cut fuel like he says that could be far worse and create massive understeer. I would prefer to have over steer and brake into it than create a large swoop outwardly, maybe into another lane. But there are always exceptions and it can go both ways.

#13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fox@Aug 5 2003, 07:56 PM
Im not exacltly sure how the system works but if it does cut fuel like he says that could be far worse and create massive understeer. I would prefer to have over steer and brake into it than create a large swoop outwardly, maybe into another lane. But there are always exceptions and it can go both ways.
thats only in major oversteer situations like on ice. in hard driving on dry roads it acts more like a LSD
#14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 07:28 PM
Fox

dunno never drivin in snow/ice. Just dry and water with LSD and i control the kickout better than a FWD by far. In fact ive been in search of a stiffer sway bar for less body roll and more over steer.

#15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

nosuchsol is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by peterkulesza@Aug 5 2003, 06:16 PM
You DO have a choice - you can push the button(unless you are missing your arms which leads me to ask why the hell are you driving?) can't you? They didn't lock the button in the on position so that when you try to turn it off it doesn't let you.

AND even the best drivers can't have control all of the time. It's usually the people who believe they can control the car that have some pretty bad accidents. Humility goes a long way......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)