Tire Rotation 2003 Awd - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2004, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
GeneNJ is an unknown quantity at this point
I asked the dealer if they rotate the tires as part of the yearly maintence and was surprised that BMW has no recomended schedule. I checked the owners manual and sure enough, no mention of rotation. Is there a problem with doing a normal, same side, front to back swap? I can't imagine why it would be a problem but I don't want to go ahead without more information.

Gene
GeneNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2004, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
WOSBY is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to WOSBY Send a message via Yahoo to WOSBY
If I remember correctly from an experience with my previous BMW, they do not recommend tire rotation. Has something to do with the different camber settings between front and rear tires, plus if you're using high performance tires which are usually directional, then you simple cant. Also, if you have the sport package, then the tires are staggered, so again you cant.

So I guess the answer to your question is "no". Just check/adjust your tire pressue frequently (at least once a week), and dont floor the accelerator at each green light.

Wosby
WOSBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Its totally acceptable as long as the car does not have staggered wheel/tire setup to rotate the tires from front to rear, just avoid any side to side rotating. To make sure that you dont have a staggered setup just look at the tires sizes and make sure that they are identical front to back. Im pretty confident however that none of the XI's ran a staggered setup. Also its a good idea to balance the wheels at the same time, and maybe consider a 4 wheel alignment. These things can significantly reduce tire wear and cupping. Although BMW seems to have missed it with some of these normal maintenance practices theres no reason that you cant have it done in order to keep your BMW and its shoes riding like new.

DT

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)