BMW Werkz banner

Tiptronic issue - 325i 2003

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  zibby 
#1 ·
My 2003 BMW 325i has an issue with the transmission. In the mornings when you shift from reverse to drive there is a noticeable delay, and then when in the "manual" tiptornic 5th gear and you try to accellerate from 50 mph to 60 mph with some ease there is a noticeable jerking or hesitation while accellerating? It happened at 40K, took it in to the dealer, was told it was a computer problem, and now it is back, of course outside the warranty period. Do I complain that it never was truly fixed at 40K, or is it something that you learn to live with, or do I bite the bullet and pay them to fix it even though it doesn't appear that they fixed it at 40K and now at 52K I am back?
:confused:

#2 · (Edited)
freetodd24 said:
My 2003 BMW 325i has an issue with the transmission. In the mornings when you shift from reverse to drive there is a noticeable delay, and then when in the "manual" tiptornic 5th gear and you try to accellerate from 50 mph to 60 mph with some ease there is a noticeable jerking or hesitation while accellerating? It happened at 40K, took it in to the dealer, was told it was a computer problem, and now it is back, of course outside the warranty period. Do I complain that it never was truly fixed at 40K, or is it something that you learn to live with, or do I bite the bullet and pay them to fix it even though it doesn't appear that they fixed it at 40K and now at 52K I am back?
:confused:
Well, you have to learn to live with it. All of them equipped with GM5 or ZF transmissions-tiptronics, have issues like that.It was addressed in several buletins with no solved results.The tranny of your BMW is equipped with ATC(adaptive transmission control).ATC reacts with precision to your individual driving style and current driving condition.To do this , different driving programs are automatically engaged.What you feel, is caused by ATC, I would not worry much about it! Just make sure any time when driving in reverse gear, stop completly car before engaging first gear or"D"- to avoid transmission damage.
Here is a list of recalls and problems on 2003 325i:
http://www.alldata.com/TSB/06/0306a043.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.