A tale of mechanic rip-off? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2003 325i + 1981 Stringray Corvette
Photos:
jjguzman_85 is on a distinguished road
A tale of mechanic rip-off?

Ok so I have a 2003 bmw 325i and have had my share of problems (and more) with this car. Whenever I had a problem I would just look up a DIY and fix it myself. Unfortunately I just moved out on my own in a new city for professional school so I don't have the tools or space I need to work on my car. Well, wouldn't you know...one week after moving, my car starts to leak coolant. I take the car to a bmw "specialty" shop and they "fixed" the problem for about $450. Expensive, but whatever... I need a car. Less than a month goes by and the car is leaking again. I call up the shop because they warranty their work for a year. I take it back in, and of course they say the parts they put in are good but the leak is somewhere new. So he tells me he already got started on it, so I have to pay $150 for "the new leak". That was yesterday. Today I'm on my way to school and the low coolant light comes on. FML! I call them up again, and they say it's prolly just an air bubble that is taking up space in the system and that I should just top it off with more coolant. "Its probably just an ounce low" he said. I make a quick stop and go straight home (less than 3 miles from where light initially came on). I only continued to drive home because the temperature gauge never went passed normal. Then again...they did replace the sensor too. When I get home the car is hissing and I notice some steam from under the hood. I let it cool, and when I open the hood there is coolant all over the place. Now I'm upset, and I call to explain what just happened. So now they're sending a tow truck "cost on them" to pick it up for more work. Is it Just me, or is this completely unacceptable?

p.s. sorry for the rant
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
It sounds like they did not bleed the system thoroughly..........& yes it is unacceptable, completely...........you should not be responsible for any more expenses!

What happens is......you are just a #..........time is money in their eyes.......so they rush......Coolant system bleeding is time consuming:

http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/3-s...tum-70619.html

This is why, I refuse to let anyone touch my car...........

jb
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
42, The meaning of life

Car: 2000 740iL Individual
Photos:
brettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nice
Depending on what they have replaced, they may have been using a process of elimination to pinpoint the leak. On some models there is a bleed line that goes from the top of the radiator to the expansion bottle, if that line gets kinked or otherwise pinched, air doesn't automatically bleed off to the expansion bottle and gets trapped at the top of the radiator, or elsewhere in the system. Hopefully they haven't damaged the engine and until they identify the source of the new leak i'd be on tender hooks. Good luck

Riding in style
brettski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)