Tail Light differences between facelift sedans and prefacelift sedans?! (pics) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 02:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Question Tail Light differences between facelift sedans and prefacelift sedans?! (pics)

Someone told me the main reason facelift E46 tail lights don't work on pre-face lift E46 sedans is because the plastic outer shell is shaped differently. Is this true?
In the pictures below facelift and pre-faceift seem to have identical shape.
Did BMW really make the shapes different?

I really want to try and upgrade my tails to facelift OEM style since I'm not yet sure about putting Depo R/C/R clears on as yet.

Thanks.

Hopefully the pictures below will help add some fact to the myth.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
I dont think there is a difference apart from the colour, I have fitted my rears with facelift rears ( 7 series ) which funny enough come of a 5 series E39 and the are an exact fit, the difference comes with the front lights, well it does on a 7 series.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marti5 View Post
I dont think there is a difference apart from the colour, I have fitted my rears with facelift rears ( 7 series ) which funny enough come of a 5 series E39 and the are an exact fit, the difference comes with the front lights, well it does on a 7 series.

you are correct. The fit is exacty the same. The difference is the pin connectors.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
The body panels are exactly the same, so the tail lights have to be the same external dimensions. You should be able to easily wire either to work on the other using either a schematic or trial and error.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
The body panels are exactly the same, so the tail lights have to be the same external dimensions. You should be able to easily wire either to work on the other using either a schematic or trial and error.
Yeah, it will be one hell of a wiring job. The 6 pin to 7 pin conversion seems not complicated, but the 2002-2006 tail have alot more lights doing alot of various things so I'm have my fingers crossed.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2002 325i
Photos:
WhatsAClutch? is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to WhatsAClutch?
It can be don't without the wiring if you ask me...your just going to be missing one light out of the actual tailight, but it will still illuminate the whole light, I don't see the point in spending the money of the wires plus time for something not so neccessary but that's just my 2 cents.
WhatsAClutch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)