Suspect odometer reset - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 05:15 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
karlsson1974 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question Suspect odometer reset

Me again... yes I'm sorry I've been away for some time but I'm back with many questions!

The car: Late 2000 318ci coupÚ;

The issue: I strongly suspect that the odometer is not showing the genuine mileage;

The question: Is there any way of finding out what the actual mileage is? Is there some sort of way that the mileage is still stored somewhere in the car's memory (or whatever?!) or am I just in wishful thinking mode here?

THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 08:51 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Late model cars have seals that would be broken if the odometer has been tampered with.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 12:48 PM
n00b

6speedchick is on a distinguished road
also check a car fax and look at the mileage
#4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 06:53 PM
2nd Gear Member

zibby is an unknown quantity at this point
If odometer was in any ways tampered with, that would be an asterix(*) displayed next to actual milage.It can not be avoidable.In my knowledge ,it applays to E46 cars and newer.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 01:23 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibby View Post
If odometer was in any ways tampered with, that would be an asterix(*) displayed next to actual milage.It can not be avoidable.In my knowledge ,it applays to E46 cars and newer.

Its actually a dot and it displays on e46 and even earlier cars like e36 etc. mileage tampering is very difficult on newer BMWs as the miles are stored redundantly in several places such as the Instrument Cluster, the EWS module, the lamp control module and the Key. it is also stored in other modules but more discretely such as the DME (for OBD fault code mileage recognition.) if you really suspect tampering then do as others said. 1- runa carfax and see what it has to say. 2- check for the manipulation dot next to the mileage in the cluster. 3- take the car to a BMW dealer and have them read out the mileage from the key to see if it matches the miles displayed on the cluster.
BR,

DT

#6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 09:27 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
it's even tough to tamper with an e30 mileage. but as dirty tool stated, mileage is stored in multiple places throughout the vehicle.

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 02:28 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
THANKS to all of you who have replied! But I'm stil la bit confused...

1) to witeshark - Where are these seals that you mention?
2) to 6speedchick and Dirty Tool - What's a carfax - sorry for this dumb question!
3) to zibby and Dirty Tool - Where would this dot show? Is it on the screen display next to the mileage?

Again - thanks for your help!!!
#8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 02:59 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Dot shows in the display right next to the mileage.
Carfax may be a USA only thing.... CARFAX used car VIN number search, auto history check, vehicle history reports
take a look at the link.

DT

#9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 04:15 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your quick reply Dirty Tool!

In fact the Carfax system is North American - I just put in my VIN and it doesnt recognise it since it is says that this is not a North American VIN... I assume there is some European equivalent... So I'll look into this and let you know.

In any case... will the CarFax system identify what the odometer should be reading? Or am I confusing things?

Cheers!
#10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:38 AM
n00b

6speedchick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsson1974 View Post
Thanks for your quick reply Dirty Tool!

In fact the Carfax system is North American - I just put in my VIN and it doesnt recognise it since it is says that this is not a North American VIN... I assume there is some European equivalent... So I'll look into this and let you know.

In any case... will the CarFax system identify what the odometer should be reading? Or am I confusing things?

Cheers!
It will tell you what the mileage was at points in the cars history you can judge it from there....and every owner and if it was in a accident
#11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:47 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hey thanks 6speedchick ;-) I guess since I'm in Europe I'll have to look for another alternative?
#12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Also your local BMW dealer has service records with dated mileage, just give them your vin # you can just tell them you want to check what services were done & @ what mileage..... I know this, because my brother recently purchased a 2000 328i off of an ebayer here in NJ, he was told the car only had 42,000 miles on it, when in fact it had 129,000 miles on it.......when he called the BMW dealer to find out if the car was up to date on its services....that's when he found out.....he threaten to sue, & the guy gave him back $4,500. the difference in price based on that mileage....
johnny,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)