Subwoofer - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 07:12 PM
Steinalero

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Thumbs up

I have a fairly dumb question. Does anyone know of any good subwoofer that i could put in a '99 328i without having to replace the head unit. I'm looking to spend under 500 bucks. If you have any ideas, please let me know and send me some links. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 12:12 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mlomker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mlomker
You can add just about any sub without replacing the head unit--you either use the high-level inputs on your amp or buy a line-level convertor.

If you want something simple but not thumping then you could go with the Infiniti Basslink--available online for about $220. It is a 10" driver with a built-in amp--easy to install and doesn't take up a lot space in your trunk. Mine is getting delivered this afternoon.

http://thewholesalematrix.zoovy.com/produc...ime-INFIBASSLNK
#3 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 08:47 PM
n00b

Steinalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Steinalero Send a message via MSN to Steinalero
I was considering basslink but I've heard that there's no wasy way to control it through the bmw stereo. It looks like this link that you gave me says it comes with a remote. Does anyone know how that works... if anybody has a basslink give me your opinion about it. Thanks.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 09:31 PM
n00b

PCGuRu2K is an unknown quantity at this point
The Infinity Basslink comes with a remote bass gain. It comes with a pretty lengthy wire so you can mount it anywhere near your stereo/steering wheel. It's a 10" sub which is decent for the price. It's definitely not heart pounding and people won't really hear it pound even if you blast it while driving down the block.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 11:01 PM
n00b

mlomker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mlomker
I just installed my Basslink this evening and spent some time experimenting with it. The remote bass control is really only necessary if you like to adjust the bass level depending upon the type of music that you are listening to. Personally, I've found that once I find a sub level that I like that I never adjust it again.

There are a variety of ways to control the volume level without the control. I decided to disconnect my back speakers and I used the back speaker outputs as the input to the sub--the result is that I can shut off the input to the Basslink by adjusting the fader all the way to the front. For some reason I didn't get a good input signal using the speaker-level inputs so I used a line-level converter instead.

From what other people had told me, I was expecting to be underwhelmed by the sub. Once it was installed, though, I found it to be fine for my needs. It is a sub that will adequately round-out the bottom end but it doesn't thump--a part of the reason for that is how well sealed the BMW trunks are! My car didn't have a ski passthrough so I bought a chisel and knocked out that piece--it now lets in enough bass to sound good. I tried a variety of locations within the trunk and it didn't seem to affect the volume or quality very much--you can pretty much place it wherever you want in the trunk. I'm going to mount mine so that it fires directly through the ski passthrough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)