Steptronic Transmission - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 10:52 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
studio945 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I am new to BMW with recent purchase of 2004 325 Cic. The steptronic transmission is fun but the gears change automatically in upshifting from first to second and from second to third. It definitely revs higher before the gear change than in normal drive or sport mode, but doesn't steptronic mean clutchless manual, i.e. that it should not change gears at all unless I tell it to?
Also, what is the difference between normal drive and sport mode (SD)?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 11:00 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lwebb12 Send a message via Yahoo to lwebb12
no steptronic is an automatic transmission. SMG is a manual without the clutch pedal that can be made to perform like an auto. The steptronic sport mode just lets the car shift at higher rpm's

Member 150+ MPH club
Member of the 3-Pedal club
Memebr BMW FORUMS V1 CLUB
JL Audio 13W7 in W7 pro wedge box powered by JL Audio 1000/1 slash series amp. JL Audio RBC. V1 hardwired.
Euro First Aid Kit, warning triangle, and fire extinguisher. Euro Storage bin Mod. UUC Stage III lightweight flywheel/clutch.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 12:12 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

AZ325Ci is on a distinguished road
welcome aboard studio945!! B)

here is a little description given by BMWNA on the Steptronic transmission:

"BMW's optional five-speed Steptronic automatic transmission features three modes of operation. Put the selector in "D" and let Adaptive Transmission Control take over. It automatically "learns" and adapts its operation to how the vehicle is driven. By tracking accelerator pedal movements, Adaptive Transmission Control recognizes how aggressively or gently you drive - and shifts gears accordingly. It also detects steep downhill driving, slippery conditions, stop-and-go traffic, and cornering, which are then factored into the shift patterns.

The Sport mode is engaged by moving the selector lever left from "D" to a second gate. Sport mode allows the engine to shift at higher rpm, for sportier driving.

You may also choose Steptronic clutchless manual shifting. From the "Sport" mode, simply tap the lever backward (upshift) or forward (downshift) to select another gear ratio."

yes, you can change the gears in the clutchless manual mode, you will see the "+" and "-" down by the selector. also, in your instrument cluster, it will show you what gear you are in should you choose to drive the clutchless manual mode.

#4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 08:07 AM
n00b

e36mpower is an unknown quantity at this point
Steptronic was correctly described above (no surprise since it's BMWs definition). However, the Steptronic tranny program will upshift to prevent engine damage, i.e. you cant leave it in second and just run the engine at redline- it WILL upshift. Also, it will downshift when coming to a stop if you dont. For example, coming to a stop from 5th, and you dont downshift, it will automatically downshift to 3rd, then 2nd, to keep you from stalling when you start to go again. So basically, its a little bit of manual and auto. HOWEVER, it is not a replacement for a true manual or SMG transmission, since it doesnt allow for "heel and toeing" throttle blips on downshifts, and because it will take over it you arent paying attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)