BMW Werkz banner

Steering wheel noise on 325xi on right turn

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  zibby 
#1 ·
My 2001 325xi 5-speed has developed a clicking noise when turning right off the top dead center of the steering wheel. It feels like a metal to metal click like something is resisting then clicks into place. It does it at the 1-2 o’clock position of the steering wheel when the car is in motion at any speed. I have only been able to duplicate the noise once when stopped. When stopped I can turn the steering wheel right and left, no noise. I can do S turns at parking lot speed and no noise. I need to drive straight for some distance then on a right turn I feel it in the steering wheel and hear it. The tires look good, no unusual wear. A quick inspection under the car does not show anything but it difficult to see all of the components until I get it up on a lift. What component may be causing the problem? I have had no problems for 110K miles, original owner. I had a tech take a drive and they suspect something in the steering column is binding. Has anyone run into an issue like this?

#2 · (Edited)
ball joint..you usually can feel the tone of the thud and where it's from. It's either in the suspension or steering. Mainly the struts, or ball joints take the most abuse in turns when under stress. If you can rock the car up and down without it bouncing then your suspension is fine, it must be the ball joint clunking, because that's the only lower pressure point that would clunk like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.