Stabilizer Bar Link - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Rjb
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rjb is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Red face Stabilizer Bar Link

I have a terrible rattle underneath my 05' 325ci which I assumed was the tailpipe, but the muffler shop stated one of the front stabilizer bars needed replaced. Would this make a rattle like a loose tailpipe does? My car has 61,000 miles so should it have worn out by now, and is this a safety issue? The guy said they are a snap to put on, so has anyone had any experience in changing these? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated because the rattle is driving me NUTS!!!

Last edited by Rjb; 06-25-2009 at 09:02 AM. Reason: need to bold title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 08:34 PM
n00b

chet31 is on a distinguished road
Found out today my rear stabilizer bar is "detached." Dealer quoted $127.35, including tax, shop supplies, etc. to repair it (2005 330I convert). However, they are not replacing the bar.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 08:45 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Don't pay the dealership that much. The sway bar links will run you a total of around $35, and the labor is minor.

#4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 08:55 PM
n00b

brucie is on a distinguished road
yes the droplinks would make a rattle , if you jack up the car and remove the wheel with a bit of a shake you should be able to move it easily, you will also notice the rubber is split around the ball, which means the grease on the ball is gone and its knackered
#5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Rjb
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Update ~ It WAS the stabilizer bar end links that were making my noise. I paid $22.00 for the part and it was a snap to replace, maybe 20 miuntes. I read somewhere you should replace in pairs, so I am ordering another one for the other side. If anyone needs to see how easy they are to replace, I have included a link that gives step by step. I mean if I (a girl) can do it, anyone can.

BMW E34 Website
#6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 10:20 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Cool :-) Yes, always replace in pairs.

#7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 01:53 AM
n00b

chet31 is on a distinguished road
Based on your comments, I told the dealer that this was an easy job, threatened to do it myself, and they did it for $50, including labor. Although not my thread, thanks for the comments.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 02:13 AM
drz
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
Based on your comments, I told the dealer that this was an easy job, threatened to do it myself, and they did it for $50, including labor. Although not my thread, thanks for the comments.
Sweet success story

#9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Rjb
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Red face

It is me again with yet another question. Since I replaced the end links on the front, should I also replace them on the back? I started thinking that since the front were worn out, wouldn't it make sense the back ones would be also? Or do the front get more wear & tear because of the steering?? Hope that's not a dumb question.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 11:11 AM
n00b

NANCYM is on a distinguished road
Smile This is great, thanks!!

Your comments were so helpful to me, which I will get to in one moment. Please allow me to tell you my "story".

Would you believe I had my brakes changed and the mechanic just handed me one of my stablizer "bushings" I think they are called. (You call them "links" ??) He said nothing so I assumed I didn't need it (them). After a year of just driving kids around, a friend of mine was in my car and commented on the front end rattle. I remembered the stabilizer bushing which I threw into my trunk after the brakes were fixed.

Thanks to you, and whether I do it myself or not, I will not pay "big money" to correct this issue.

You're my kind of gal!

Thank You,

Nancy Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjb View Post
I have a terrible rattle underneath my 05' 325ci which I assumed was the tailpipe, but the muffler shop stated one of the front stabilizer bars needed replaced. Would this make a rattle like a loose tailpipe does? My car has 61,000 miles so should it have worn out by now, and is this a safety issue? The guy said they are a snap to put on, so has anyone had any experience in changing these? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated because the rattle is driving me NUTS!!!
#11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 11:23 AM
5th Gear Member

jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie
go girls.
#12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 11:46 AM
n00b

Thanks Jimmy! Everyone loves a liberated guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythepie View Post
go girls.
#13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Rjb
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Nancy ~ Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sure you would have no problem replacing the stablizer bar end links yourself if you decide to do so. The only challange I ran into was I "almost" wasn't physically strong enough to loosen a rusted on nut. So I just found a cheater bar, and it broke free in a snap.

Please keep us updated.
#14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member

CanadianWraith is on a distinguished road
if you are going to replace swaybar links and trailarm bushings it's well worth spending a little extra and switch to polyurethane

#15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 06:19 PM
n00b

Thanks for yet another tip, loving this site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)