Squeaking doors - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2006, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jonnyc is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Squeaking doors

Hi and welcome to everyone on this forums I am new here and hope you guys could help me out with my dilemma.

I have recently bought a 3 year old BMW e46 318i (2003) and noticed that the driver and front passenget doors have squeaking sounds when the it is under braking or acceleration and also on bumpy surfaces. I sent the car back to dealer with some details and solutions I have found online. I suggested the gummipledge treament (sp?) and also tightening the kicker plates.

During the first day back the car seemed fine but the second day, the squeaking sounds are back, much lesser but still there. The technicians just told me that "fixed" the problems and not going into any details how they did it. (I got the "fix" FOC as the car is under 12 months limited warranty).

I have scourged all over the net for solutions and none seems viable to me at the moment. I noticed the squeaks stop when I lowered the windows by a little bit. However, this could not be a permanent solution as I am worried that water will get into the interior of the car if left this way. Besides, I don't really fancy the increased wind and road noise into the cabin.

I have bought a silicon lubricant but and in doubts if I should apply it (I am also not sure where to apply it) as I have read (http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B510704g.htm) this link and it seems that they are removing any silicon on the window seals instead of applying them on. I would also like to try the suggestion from (http://www.540i6.com/doorseals.html) but I have no idea where to buy the 3M tape ( I am from the UK ) and also not sure what replacement tape should I use for it.

I am thinking of resending the car to the dealers but I feel they would be reluctant to fix a "minor" problem like this. As I drive my car everyday, this noise really is driving me mad, not expected for a quality car like beemer.

Should I push for the dealer to completely replace the seals for both doors? Hopefully someone could suggest an updated and working solution for my dilemma so I can finally get some sleep back.

p/s: I know a lot of forums have been posted about this issue but most are kind of outdated and most solutions seems to focus on people living in the States. I hope someone could give a dandy solution/advice if possible.
jonnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2006, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
I suggest you take the car to the dealer and demand that they fix it. If they refuse to or fail to do it multiple times, contact the BMW headquarters in your country (I'm sure you can find that info on Google by searching BMW followed by your country). In the USA, BMWNA is usually pretty prompt in dealing with things like that.

As far as doing it yourself, I honestly have no idea what to do or where to look as I haven't been in the car myself to hear/feel it.

Good luck, and keep us updated.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Dear Torque,

Thanks for your fast reply. As I was pretty indulged in work, I haven't had the time to communicate with the technicians dealing with the servicing of my car. I left a detailed note and they took and redelivered my car after servicing and remained vague about what they actually did.

The creaking noise sounds like plastic rubbing together or under tension. At first I suspected the wooden trims on the driver and front passenger side doors. The trims seems to be making creaking noise (rather loud) when I depressed them hard with my hands with the doors closed. Only the trims on the driver and front passenger doors seems to make creaking noises when depressed.

However, I retested this theory by winding down the driver door's windows a tiny bit and the squeaking noise seems to have gone. I really suspect that it is the top of the window rubbing against the seals when fully wound up. Body flex seems to start the squeaks as I get it regardless of vehicle speed. The sound seems minor but it drives you crazy if you happen to drive the car over a long period of time. I also observed that the windows seals on my car is still quite new. I have not personally applied any polish/wax/lubricant on them but I am unsure what the cleaners at the dealers did.

I think I would postpone by attempts to apply a silicon based lubricant to the window seals and perhaps contact the dealers once more. This time I would try to explain more indepth concerning my problems. It is just that this is my first BMW (a second hand one, but bought from the local BMW dealer) and I am not sure how to approach this problems with them. I might try to push them to change both the complete window seals for driver and front passenger side to see if that would fix the problems.

It is very inconvenient having to wait for 1 full day minimum (last time they picked the car up 10am and returned it 5pm) and having to return the car again for servicing when u rely on it a lot for work commute.

Well anyway I would contact the dealers again soon I guess. They won't be happy as it has been less then a week since the last repair! Anyway, more views and opinions are much welcomed!
Old 02-14-2006, 11:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
storme is an unknown quantity at this point
hi

i had the same thing on my coupe..

i used that gummifledge as well..it was ok for a day or two

the way i sorted mine was like this

i used some spray ptfe (make sure it dont stain)
i sprayed the door handles,,,the bit u push/pull and i squirted under the arm rest....i looked for "holes" somewhere for the spray oil to penetrate into the actual door............make sure the windows are up!!! just in case!!

i also use petroleum jelly on the door seals,,nothing else seems to work

and after about 10!!!!! attempts i think enough oil penetrated what ever was squeaking

its a bit hard to explain,,,where exactly i squirted...but basically the whole door cards...including the sides where it touches the door frame,,,and the bit by the wing mirror...(inside the car)

hope this helps..

visit me at http://www.janspeed.com
storme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I recently sprayed some silicon lubricant to the wooden trims that squeaked on the doors and also appllied some to the top rubber seal where the window touches when it is fully closed.

Problem seemed to have dissapeared for a 3 hour drive session over bumpy and country roads. I am confident that the trim squeaking problems could be easily solved by applying silicon lubricant. I noticed the dealers affixed some felt type tape on the trim ledge. That doesn't seem to work as well as the lubricant. Trims doesn't squeak now when I depress them hard.

I will keep an eye on the problem and might carry out more window seal lubricating (with silicon spray) if the squeaking comes back. Anything for a quiet interior!
Old 02-14-2006, 01:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Ocean02 is on a distinguished road
Go drive a Ford for a few days then your Bimmer will sound like an air-tight bank vault in comparison.

I grew up driving sh*tty cars so the tiny little squeaks that arise (are there really aren't many) are still a vast improvement. But good luck! I know what it's like to be erked by those pesky details. I am such a damn perfectionist when it comes to my car, it drives all my friends/family crazy.

Ciao,
Ocean02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I know what you mean ocean02. I used to own a Ford Cougar 2.0 petrol before switching to a Seat Leon 1.8T (and now the beemer). No matter what I do, rattles and squeaks seems to come from everywhere. I was so amazed by the quiteness of Euro cars and I guess I never looked back from my Seat. A bit off topic though, I wished I went a higher engine displacement on my beemer as my 1.8 now is not what would I call an exhilirating ride. Well, a small sacrifice for my family then, got to look after the pennies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)