BMW Werkz banner

Snow Chain On 18 Inch Wheels

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  postrio 
#1 ·
I heard that snow chains cannot be mounted on some of 18 inch wheels. Is that true? I have 2004 325i (no sports or performance package) with staggered 18 inch M3 wheels (F: 18x8, 225/40/18, R: 18x9, 255/35/18).
If so, getting winter tires is only option I can take?
I live in CA so summer tires are fine all year around, but sometimes I go to Nevada for ski.
Many thanks.

#2 ·
BMW does not recommend snow chains for the 17" and 18" wheels. If you plan to drive in the heavy snow sections you would be better off with some OEM 16" wheels with 205/55 snow sized tires.

#3 ·
Have you ever driven in the rain with summer tires on... on 18" wheels? It's a real bitch. Imaginen driving them in the snow! What a mess. Not really safe even with snow chains on there.

Here... check out this post from a day or two ago: Snow Tires...To Be Or Not To Be

Dough

#5 ·
i wouldn't think of putting chains on the 18 inch rims...not only will the ride possibly be terrible it would really mess up the rims as well. If you really want some good winter traction, and aren'y planning on driving them most of the time, look into bavauto.com they have the spare tire rims that you can get snow tires on.. i think that would be a good idea, just store the rims until you need them, then you have the traction when you need it and keep your good rims looking great.

just my 2 cents anyways (i have snow tires mounted on my stock rims, put them on when the snow comes in, they work great)

#6 ·
Thanks guys for input.

Hmm, I haven't had any problem in driving rainy days yet.
If the issue of snow chain on 18" wheels is (cosmetic) damage, shouldn't it be a way to prevent it? Like some protecting sheet of rubber on wheels...
I guess at least they sell snow chains for 18 wheels, but BMW seems overcautious because of the warranty issue.

From my friends' experiences, driving in snow with bimmer (with summer tire) wasn't disaster, but in case of heavy snow, the patrol blocks the traffic and enforce the use of snow chain on the way to Lake Tahoe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.