BMW Werkz banner

Shock changeover = No speaker sound?

4K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Lord Vader 
#1 ·
My car had been on stands for 3 months while doing shock and spring changeover (long story, obviously), And now none of my speakers work!

I had installed an aftermarket head unit with amp and sub and it has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years!

Whats weird is my Subs still work, but no sound whatsoever from any of the speakers...

I have checked fuses 7 & 41 for RADIO/ NAVIGATION.

Also, if it makes a difference, my battery died so i had to jump it to get my car started.

Any thoughts??
Edit/Delete Message

#2 ·
When you boosted the car did it ask you for the Radio Code?

Never done it for an E46, but when removing the shocks in an E36 you need to remove the speakers as their in the way of the carpeting covering the shock tower. When you remove the speaker their is a tiny connector that plugs into the speaker. If this is not properly connected you wont have sound. Remove the speaker and check this connector and ensure it is properly connected.

For the rest, you should use a voltmeter to ensure their is power throughout the system. If theirs no power, then finding the power wire and tracing it back should be easy.

#3 ·
It did not ask me for the radio code because i have an aftermarket head unit (i have a SECURITY SET options, but have not used it)

In the e46 i dont think i saw any wires minus the brake pad sensor. This makes no sense! i had to press super hard on the brake, and my connection if i remember correctly goes right over, or under the steering column? Maybe i severed it?

I have power to the radio, Tuner, USB, and subs and amp work fine

Its not even possible to unplug all the speaker connectors during this :(

I did find one 2-wire connector by the rear shock mount, but im almost positive it was already disconnected. does anyone know waht this does? it is on the battery side.

#4 ·
The connector I am refering to is inside the trunk but above the shock mounts. Where the speakers are. Odds are the wire you found may possibly be the speaker one. Remove the speaker and find out.

#6 ·
It could. We disconnected the speakers and the 6 Disc CD changer when removing my rear shocks and the whole audio system wouldnt function.

I dont have a specific picture, but when you remove the rear speakers you should see it.

#8 ·
Update: i checked Voltage on the amp and the HU. here is what i found

The built in amp pwer wire is 12v when off, when i turn it on, it drops to around 5v.
All earths have a resistance of .8 or less
I cant rememebr for sure right now but i think the twisted paris were putting out 5v.
The remote turn on wire is putting out 5v.

The headunits remote turn on wire is also putting out 5v, from the head unit, and also from the back of the OEM harness

#11 ·
Really Unttold??? Your going to quote your own message and throw in a spam link as well? You better knock that off before you get banned. If your just here to spam you should leave now as its not tolerated here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.