shifting problem? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 10:02 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thejoyofdriving is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Thejoyofdriving
(Thread Starter)
Question shifting problem?

recently i have bought a 2003 325ci (steptronic tranny), and it seems that sometimes when i shift from 3 to 2 the car jolts, it feels like something is catching, but i have no idea. what could it be, and should i take it to a dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 08:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Hootie is on a distinguished road
Cars usually do jolt when you down-shift, especially in the lower gears. Do you get this jolt when shifting while continuously pressing the gas pedal?
#3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 11:17 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
well i am familiar with the sudden jolt from shifting down to slow down(shifting down while foot is on the brake) or or to down shift to gain rpm and accelerate faster(shifting down while foot is to the floor), but this is different, it feels like something is wrong, like something is catching or not working properly. almost like there is a small pebble in the tranny, and it just gets caught in between the gears, this is probab,y not the cause but im just saying thats what it feels like.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 08:49 AM
1st Gear Member

The car's not quite a full 4 years old... have you changed the tranny fluid? Your description of a "pebble" being stuck in the tranny would be similar to solidified gunk coming loose and being lodged in a crevise, something that users here have commented can happen if you change old tranny fluid on the steptronics.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 03:14 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
no, i havent changed my fluid, but i was thinking of flushing the tranny and doing a lube change. And it only happens when i switch from 3 to 2, if a piece of gunk gets loose, wouldn't it get crushed?

Last edited by Thejoyofdriving; 04-20-2007 at 03:16 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 02:10 PM
n00b

abelinkoln is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejoyofdriving
no, i havent changed my fluid, but i was thinking of flushing the tranny and doing a lube change. And it only happens when i switch from 3 to 2, if a piece of gunk gets loose, wouldn't it get crushed?
First off, you may still have a factory warranty on it, so why not take it in? BMW warranties transfer to 2nd owners usually.

Secondly, a steptronic (especially an 03), should never jolt. I wouldn't mess around, and I'd get it in ASAP. Stay out of manual mode on it and no downshifting until you get it in, because any kind of unusual jolting could be causing some kind of further damage.

Not to be doom and gloom here, but I'd rather see you take it in right away for a diagnosis (especially if you're still under warranty) than have to replace a BMW transmission (not cheap!). When transmissions talk to you, you should definitely listen.

2003 330xi Stock, Prem Package, Leather, Cold Weather + Initial Navigation

2007 X3 3.0si Stock, PremPackage, Leather, Cold Weather, Xenon (Directional), Bluetooth

Need an excellent web host? I recommend BlueHost. Tons of storage, webmail, PHP/CGI/MySql and very fast. Most of all, excellent customer service. Click this message to sign up.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:44 AM
1st Gear Member

"if a piece of gunk gets loose, wouldn't it get crushed?"

I'm not an expert by any means on Trannies, but I believe BMW auto trannies use gears as well as hydraulic pieces. If a piece of gunk comes loose, it could become lodged in a hydraulic tube. And abel is right, take it in for a diagnosis. Even if you drop $300 for them to tell you it was a chicken wing in your filter pan, it's less than the cost of replacing the steptronic ($4,000+).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)