Shifting Issues - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 03 Bmw 325i
Photos:
fasaavedra4 is on a distinguished road
Shifting Issues

I need more advice, every since i bought my 03' 325i ( Manual Transmission ) i have been complaining about the way the car shifts, i think i takes more time when shiftting than a single stick shift car. When i shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear , clutch must come off very slow otherwise the car bumps.... it alos bumps if i push the clutch fast, this creates a horrible noise in the back , like a rattle noise or almost like if the car was hit underneath.
i did some research and heard about the CDV which i replace but still feelling the same way, no changes after replacing the OEM Clutch Delay valve.

Any comments or advice to solve this ??

Thanks
fasaavedra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2009, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Clean

Car: Titanium Silver E39 / 2011 BMW M3
Photos:
BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
It sounds like you might have a bad guibo (flex disc) or possibly a dried CV joint. If the guibo is bad you will be able to see it starting to shred.

The other possibility, and this is the one that scares me the most and has been common on the E46, you might have a subframe issue. I say that because of the feeling of the rear end making a horrible noise.

The next obvious question to ask you is how many miles do you have on your car and when were the subframe bushing replaced? If ever.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
ok, the car has 99k miles.

However, i have had this issue since long time ago.

When someone else drive the car, WOW, is like they have never drive a stickshift car, even thought they all drive manual transmission cars.

im already familiar with the car, so i know how should i push the clutch and then shift so it makes no crunky bump, eventhought sometimes happens to me also. So i know for sure something is wrong with it, i drive a Ford F150 also, and it shifts as any other car.

As i said, when the clutch is push fast when shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear, it makes a nasty BUMP noise mostly on the back.

When you refer to a subframe issiue, what exactly it means? Sorry for my ignorance...... so , what should i have checked on the car?

the subframe bushing have never been replaced..... at what milleage they should have been replaced?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mr. Clean

Photos:
Garage
There's really no guideline to replace the subframe bushings, but subframe failure on the E46 is ultra common. What happens is the actual mounts for the subframe tear from the unibody. This is known to happen on E46's because the thickness of the mounts are too thin. Essentially, the rear end of the car starts to disconnect from the car. On visual inspection look for cracks near the mounting points of the subframe. It will look something like this...

This is an extreme case of subframe failure as this was on an HPF M3.

However, this can be repaired fairly easily by reinforcing the sub frame with some weld in plates. Companies like Turner Motorsport make plates just to fix this problem.

I'm not saying that this is your problem for certain because I have not seen your car in person, but take it to a shop and have the rear subframe inspected for cracks and at the very least you'll know if it's been the problem.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Perfect, i will have the car checked at a shop.

the picture attached is something that i can locate by myself? what area of the car is it? In case that is the issue, is it expensive to have it fix ?

what do you think about the delay while shifting ? is it normal on BMW?

I do refere to clucth should come off so slow for good engage of the shifts...
Old 07-09-2009, 12:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mr. Clean

Photos:
Garage
You should be able to locate it by yourself and typically the damage is around the subframe mounts. There are 4 of them on your car in the rear. Essentially the subframe is what the diff is mounted to along with the swing arms. If you look under the car you will see a structure that looks like this...

Look at the underbody near the mounting locations (you'll see when you look) for cracks. I did find this however. Click Here.

If this is legit and you do have a subframe problem, it looks like BMW will repair it for you at their cost. This is a well documented incident and I also think your shifting problems could be caused by subframe problems. Particularly, since you're hearing sounds when you shift.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
01bmwxi is on a distinguished road
I have 01 330xi and i have the same problem. when i shift from 1 to 2nd geari bumps badly. do you know if anything happened to your car's suspension before? was damaged?
01bmwxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Well, i have research all over for a goo reason of this CLUNKING noise, and after and extensive looking seems this is Noise is normal.

See this link:

E46 M3 Chassis News BMW E46 M3 - "Clunking Noise" on Load Reversal [Archive] - E46Fanatics

I guess we must accept it and live with it.....im just curios if this noise was with the car from the very beggining?

i did all posible to avoid it ( Replace CDV, Remove CDV, Transmission Fluid change ) but still there.

Good luck !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)