Shaking steering wheel when hit bumps turning Left - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
will415 is on a distinguished road
Shaking steering wheel when hit bumps turning Left

Hello can anyone help me on this, my car when i am driving straight it is fine but when i am switching lanes to the left lane and i hit a bump on the road my steering wheel starts to shake like crazy well as does the car, then when i straighten the wheel out it stops. Idk what the issue is i have looked under my car and cant seem to find this issue can anyone help me if they got the answer for me. Also its a 2000 bmw 323ci 2 door coupe. Stock wheels and tire size.
will415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Captain... Savvy ?

Car: BMW E38 728i 1996 Met Black
Photos:
Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
I've got to suggest suspension bushes at this stage...
Lift the front onto axle-stands then have a good tug around the linkages/control arms to see if there is any play...
Get back to us with results buddy.

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
Jack Dabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Well the controll arm seems to be what is causing the issue, they seem lose and when i drive and hit a little bump i could hear some kind of play under the car I look to see if i could tighten the one bolt on the control arm but i cant seems to already be tight. That is if we are talking about the same thing. Its the bar that almost looks like a C and has in the midde of where it curvs a bolt that goes up i think into the frame with a long bolt. Well from that area it seems to be all lose but bolt will not tighten anymore and its actually dangerous to be driving it like that but it my old car right now.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Captain... Savvy ?

Car: BMW E38 728i 1996 Met Black
Photos:
Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
Yep, that's the baby... Not that expensive on ebay !!

Best to do all four (2x upper and 2x lowers)...

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
Jack Dabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I agree. This sounds like CABs. You may also consider changing the rear trailing arm bushings (most definitely if the rear feels loose as well), since you'll need to get an alignment anyways.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Is it hard to change out the part u guys are talking about?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
It's not too bad if you have the right tools. A quick google search will yield a few DIYs. However, I am right now debating whether I want to do myself (m car needs it too) or simply have a shop do it, mostly because I don't want to mess with it.

Also, you may need to change out the control arms as well as the bushings if the ball joints are worn (f I remember correctly, the ball joints are integral to the control arm).

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)