BMW Werkz banner

Service Engine Soon Light

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  EXtech 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2001 325i. I recently had an intake leak fixed (oil separator and hose replaced). After I picked my car up from my mechanic my 'service engine soon' light came on. I took it back the next day. My mechanic said he needed to download upgraded software from BMW. He still had multiple misfire codes and was told from BMW that I had a bad air mas meter. I agreed to have that replaced although I was not happy about that especially, since the 'service engine soon' light was not open prior to me taking my car in. Fortunately, though I was not charged for labor. After the mas meter was replaced, my mechanic test drove my car and there were no faulty codes. I picked my car up but before I could make it home my my 'service engine soon' light was back on. I took it back the next day and waited while my mechanic downloaded the software again and took the car on an extended test drive. The codes again came out find. So I drove the car to work without any problems. However, before I could make it home in the evening the 'service engine soon' light was on. I am frustrated and my mechanic is frustrated. Any ideas as to what could be the problem?

#2 ·
Edit: Welcome to BimmerWerkz first of all.

Your profile information is not filled in; nowhere in your post is it indicated what model this is, and to top it all off, you didn't even post it in the right section of the forum (if you look, it's all divided into 3/5/7 series by age etc).

Not trying to sound like a dick, but if you want us to help you, you have to give us something we can work with.

#8 ·
MLBINDC said:
I have a 2001 325i. I recently had an intake leak fixed (oil separator and hose replaced). After I picked my car up from my mechanic my 'service engine soon' light came on. I took it back the next day. My mechanic said he needed to download upgraded software from BMW. He still had multiple misfire codes and was told from BMW that I had a bad air mas meter. I agreed to have that replaced although I was not happy about that especially, since the 'service engine soon' light was not open prior to me taking my car in. Fortunately, though I was not charged for labor. After the mas meter was replaced, my mechanic test drove my car and there were no faulty codes. I picked my car up but before I could make it home my my 'service engine soon' light was back on. I took it back the next day and waited while my mechanic downloaded the software again and took the car on an extended test drive. The codes again came out find. So I drove the car to work without any problems. However, before I could make it home in the evening the 'service engine soon' light was on. I am frustrated and my mechanic is frustrated. Any ideas as to what could be the problem?
the very first sentence says he has an '01 325i.... what's not to understand about that?:rolleyes:

First of all.. I must ask why you brought the car in originally if no check engine light was on? What were the symptoms? If the oil separator and hose were truely faulty then I would look to the install since there was no check engine light on.
Hopefully this guy double, triple and quadruple checked his work. There are two roughly 1" diameter plastic hoses and one small vacuum line that attach to the part, these may not be secure. There may also be a crack/split in one of the hoses he put on. Any of this can cause a vacuum leak that may delay a check engine light and cause rapid misfires.
How many miles are on the car? Does the car run fine with the check engine light on?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.