Service Bulletin 34.08.01 ABS brakes - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2006, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
RedbeautyIS is an unknown quantity at this point
Service Bulletin 34.08.01 ABS brakes

OK 2000 328i E46 had rear trailing arm with bearing changed on car due to a severly fried rear bearing. Since I have not had a job in a while I chose to buy the trailing arm from the net used (saved around $700 ) and it is a casting so I thought it would be alright. Arm came in with sensor and bearing installed, sensor was replaced but bearing was used as is. Well as soon as I picked it up after replacing all rear brakes and, wear sensor and pulse sensor I get an ABS rattle when stopping. It does not matter if I brake hard or easy and it does not seem to affect the braking until nearly stoppedwhen I can feel the car dive as if the rear brakes let go. The service bulliten sas it could be; sensor wiring, sensor, pulse wheel or contanination. Has anyone experienced this problem? It's making me crazy and I cannot afford an expensive stealership billright now.

Goodluck everyone.
RedbeautyIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2006, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hootie is on a distinguished road
Sorry Red, haven't heard of this and never experienced it. PM 325isbaby for another opinion. Definitely sounds like something computer or sensor related though, as it doesn't occur at all times and under all conditions.
Hootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Try putting your old sensor back in if you still have it. Otherwise it is probably a bad bearing. common sense would tell you that if it just started happening immediatley after changing these 2 items then 1 of them must be the culprit.
Good luck

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I agree with change the bearing however can I get cleared up on one point. Does the sensor enit a steady signal that gets reflected off a gear or sprocket or does the sensor only time the individual wheel speed and compare in the puter. As you can see I am clueless as to the origination of the signal back to the ABS computer.

thanks
Old 06-19-2006, 02:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
I belive on your year model it uses a hall sensor which picks up a signal from a pulse wheel built in to the bearing. The sensor sends this info to the DSC (traction control and ABS Module) and then the DSC module can share this information with other modules such as the instruments cluster trans module (if equipped) etc.

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2005 330xi
Photos:
325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
Correct DT...and just to let you know Red, I've worked at the dealer for quite some time now, and to be honest I had to look up that bulletin when you posted your concern...I don't believe I've ever used this bulletin!! Hope this puts your mind somewhat at ease
Old 06-19-2006, 05:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
is the bulletin real? If so can you tell me what it would cost to diagnose it. The bulletin says that the root cause will be either 1. sensor wiring, 2. sensor, pulse wheel or 3. contamination. Do you know if 2000 328i sedan has a built in pulse wheel in the rear wheel bearings?
Old 06-19-2006, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
BTW 325is Thanks much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)