BMW Werkz banner

Secondary Air System Flow

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  The Deuce 
#1 ·
Hello,

My check engine light came up while I was driving. Checked with R5/FCX code reader and found out code F6 which is "Secondary air system flow too low, Cyl #4-6" Does anyone what it means? What should I do to get it fixed? Do I need a new air filer or something?

Thanks,
Luke

#4 ·
it won't. it has nothing to do with the air going through the intake.
it is probablly the actual pump that is faultl or the valve on the engine. defiantly take it to the dealer they can do tests through the computer that can pin point what is broke.

not that changing the air filter is a bad thing but it will have no effect on the check engine light if it is for the secondary air system.

#5 ·
good call, changing the intake had null effect. what pump and what valves specifically would have this effect? I'd like to look the parts up in my Bentley manual and see if it's worth just doing the work myself. Nothing like taking the car to a dealership and having them charge you $100 to tell you they need to over-charge you on parts and labor for something that could have been done in my own garage, ya know?

#6 ·
the pump is a black round lookin' think on the exhasut side of the engine bay. there is a valve that mounts on the engine. it has a vacume line going to it and is a silver color it is on the front of the engine on the exhaust side. the valve is pretty easy to change, but the pump can be tricky i can't recall if some 5 series or if some 3 series have the pump mounted behind the right front wheel well covering. if it is behind the wheel well covering those are a pain even when you do them on a lift in a dealership :goodness:

and i'd take it to the dealer. even though you pay more you get what you pay for. they have all the knowledge and the tools to make sure it is done right. not saying that you woulnd't or an independent shop wouldn't but they would be able to tell if it is a air pump or the valve. and why pay more for parts you don't need. you could atleast take it in and have them diagnose it for you.

#7 ·
Thanks for the help. My Bentley manual doesn't seem to have the secondary air pump listed... hmph.

So far it hasn't affected my car's performance. Come time for emissions inspections, I'll find out if it hurts then. If it does, I'll fix it, if not I can live without it.

And I'll only take my car to the dealer to let them work on "non-bolt-on" procedures. Replacing a pump or a valve doesn't get much easier. Well, spark plugs or an air filter maybe... but you get the idea.

#9 ·
If it is a component related to your emissions, the feds require a longer warranty than the standard drivetrain.

I'm assuming your car is a '99, and would most likely be out of warranty on that anyway, but its worth a shot.

Emissions stuff is real finkey anyway, I hate messing with that crap.

#8 ·
K... just so you know.. that code you had read is a code which can and will be caused by many different variable failures. I'm not saying its the said valve... but I've had this code in many peoples car plainly be just a O2 sensor bad... which tells the computer that its not getting enough exhaust out... common problem.. get it looked at the dealer... you should be within coverage... hopefully...

And good luck,

Les

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.