BMW Werkz banner

secondary air pump

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Jack Dabsy 
#1 ·
i have a 316 1.9 2001. 191,000 miles. recently had a problem with running sluggish. now fixed cleaned maf. (from advise on this website) now runs sluggish for the first 2 mins only? spotted a leak on the secondary air pump also has a whirring noise. when the whirring noise stops seems to run ok. now sealed the secondary air pump by replacing the rivets with bolts. but doesnt seem to fix the problem. i have the feeling my secondary air pump is kaputt. but i am not sure if this is supposed to be like this? dont want to change it and find its supposed to be like this. can someone give me some advice please. have recently changed spark plugs and leads as well.

#2 ·
The secondary thingy operates using the coolant temp to slide the valve into a position where it allows more/less air... This must be not working as it should and needs removing for a good clean... It may have been fouled up by mirky coolant !! HTH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.