BMW Werkz banner

Run Flats!!!!!

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  abracy 
#1 ·
Bimmer bummer!!!!!!! I've had my 2011 328i for only 3,000 miles (purchased with 13,000 on it) and am already buying a new tire for it!!! I picked up a huge screw (metal, not a large woman) the other day and am getting the opportunity to spend $230 + tax for a new tire. It looks like, with just a little bit of effort, that huge well in the trunk could have been modified to hold a compact spare. What are some options on these tires???

I've wanted a BMW all my driving life, and finally have one. But - out of pocket expenses like this, and so soon, are not to encouraging. Does anyone make a compact spare for these cars? I absolutely love everything about this car, but many more out of pocket expenses like this may drive me on to something else.

#3 ·
did you drive on the tire after it was flat? I picked up a screw in one of mine, but didn't drive it after. I lucked out and must have picked it up on my way home. It was flat the next day. I just pulled the tire off and took it to a tire place. They repaired the tire and I was on my way about $20 later. I had a 3" drywall screw in my tire.

#4 ·
I picked up a 2 1/2 inch bolt - weird. Lost all pressure immediately, and it wouldn't hold any air at all. It was night and I had to chance covering 40 miles of rough highway and chewing the tire up totally or calling BMW assist. I figure I would have had to pay for a tire either way.

Since then I've picked up a spare kit from Bavarian Autosport. It's a little embarrassing having to give up some of my limited trunk space in my finely engineered auto for a spare tire. I think they really stuck us there. It wouldn't have taken very much effort to make room for a compact spare.

Don't get me wrong - this is the finest auto I have ever owned or driven. But the tire situation sucks!!!!!! As someone else put it - if you're in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday afternoon and have a flat you're up the creek without a paddle. It will be Monday before you resolve that situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.