BMW Werkz banner

Run Flat Tires on E90

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  TRuckee 
#1 ·
I've noticed that the new 3-series, E-90 that is, all come with run-flat tires and that there isn't even a provision for a spare tire in the trunk. It struck me that this really limits the choice of tires for these cars. Although I haven't seen much discussion of this topic on this site, I have read through several pages on an edmonds.com site. The opinion seems to be that the stiffer sidewalls required by this tire type have a rather unpleasant effect on the ride of the vehicle over any road irregularities. Any members care to comment on this subject?

#2 ·
I think I've read in Roundel that the ride and handling aren't compromised that badly. IF I was to get one of these, I would just go ahead and get regular tires, and have a spare or donut handy. Or maybe I just won't get one.<_<

#4 ·
I'm not really down with the exorbitant prices for Run Flat tires. You can't even patch them if you get a puncture!! I drove an E90, and I guess it wasn't bad at all, I couldn't really note a remarkable difference between it and other cars i've driven.
It just seems like a really bad reason to have to go to the dealer...

#5 ·
patching a run-flat

Yes, it is possible to patch a run-flat. I've known of a case where the driver drove 100mi. with a flat (only 50 is recommended) and was still able to patch the tire. The tire damage, as with go-flat tires, shouldn't be on the sidewall or more than 3/16 from the crown of the tire.

#6 ·
I didn't realise that the E90s lacked the space for a spare tyre.

Given the concerns with runflat tyres, what about the use of a portable inflator and a tyre sealant material? That way, you could use standard tyres and not worry about the expense of a high replacement cost.

After all, how often does one have a flat that renders the vehicle immobile? Seems as though most occurrances are due to nails and other sharp objects that cause a slow leak and not a sudden deflation where the tyre refuses to hold air.

#7 ·
In the E90 there is a space under the trunk panel that you could throw a doughnut tire in, but it really defeats the purpose of the move in technology. From everyone I've talked to I'd expect to see this slowly become the norm.

As far as the handling, I don't think it compromises anything there, the feel of the wheels is a little heavier when hitting potholes, but the actual turning & drive is still good. Compared to other cars I've owned the E90 feels like it was cut from one huge piece of metal... thing is solid, and drives that way.

#10 ·
I also wonder how much being able to set up the car with different sized tires on the front vs. the rear axles played into BMW's decision to supply it with run-flat tires... 'certainly simplifies spare(s). I'm still bugged by this choice of tire on this car. In addition to greatly reducing the choice of replacement tires, it locks the owner into having to buy the much more expensive run-flats. I think I'd probably get rid of the run-flats and carry a can of sealant and a small portable compressor. Like was previously said in this thread, most "flats" are discovered at home on a still -inflated tire anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.