Rpm Above 1000 On Cold Engine - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2005, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
nrana99 is an unknown quantity at this point
1999 323Ci convertible
When I start my car every morning, the RPM stays around 1000 and after 2 minutes or so, comes down around 600. Also the noise change as well as the rpm drops down to 600 level. Why does it do it?

One other thing: I started my car the other day and rpm was 1000 (may be little over 1000) but I shut down the engine immediately. A minute later, I started again and now the engine wouldn't start. I tried pressing gas when I started but it wouldnt start. I checked oil level and it seemed low so I put in some oil and after that, I tried to start pressing gas at the same time and it started. Why did it do that? Any idea? Now everytime I start, rpm stays around 1000 and comes back to 600 or so within 2 mins or so.
nrana99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2005, 10:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
rsn48 is an unknown quantity at this point
When the car, any car starts cold, the computer kicks it into higher revs to warm up the car, after a few minutes in then drops to its "normal" rpms.

With the stepping on the gas to start, which you shouldn't do unless it is very cold or hot, it is possible you fouled your plugs. Adding oil won't make a car start better. Remember to check your oil ten minutes after your car engine was turned off to give your oil a chance to settle back down to get a more accurate measurement of oil level.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Aloyouis is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by rsn48@Mar 2 2005, 12:27 PM
When the car, any car starts cold, the computer kicks it into higher revs to warm up the car, after a few minutes in then drops to its "normal" rpms.

With the stepping on the gas to start, which you shouldn't do unless it is very cold or hot, it is possible you fouled your plugs. Adding oil won't make a car start better. Remember to check your oil ten minutes after your car engine was turned off to give your oil a chance to settle back down to get a more accurate measurement of oil level.
[snapback]302469[/snapback]

YEP! rsn48 is absolutly correct.
Aloyouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
clarkinc is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by nrana99@Mar 1 2005, 09:33 PM
1999 323Ci convertible
When I start my car every morning, the RPM stays around 1000 and after 2 minutes or so, comes down around 600. Also the noise change as well as the rpm drops down to 600 level. Why does it do it?

One other thing: I started my car the other day and rpm was 1000 (may be little over 1000) but I shut down the engine immediately. A minute later, I started again and now the engine wouldn't start. I tried pressing gas when I started but it wouldnt start. I checked oil level and it seemed low so I put in some oil and after that, I tried to start pressing gas at the same time and it started. Why did it do that? Any idea? Now everytime I start, rpm stays around 1000 and comes back to 600 or so within 2 mins or so.
[snapback]302134[/snapback]
Hey my man...In the E46 desigh the floormatting is a problem (especially new ones). Chances are the floor mat weighed your pedal down just enough to give those extra RPMs and when you shut it down to start with the pedal in the position it was in you got gas all over the plugs which would cause it not to start. Usually just give it a while like the time you took to check and fill the oil. This does happen alot.
FYI this is because gasoline is not flammable in its liquid form, only in gas form. Gasoline evaporates and becomes a gas very quickly which is why it burns so fast and is alot more potent than diesel.
clarkinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BMWLotAttendant is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMWLotAttendant Send a message via MSN to BMWLotAttendant
We have a 325Ci...that isn't being driven...and I have to start it every day to make sure it is running nicely....I've noticed that too...

When started...it starts out at 1000rpm...and when I rev it up to 1500 it shakes a little bit....but after I do it a second time....it doesn't do it anymore....

And just letting it run....takes the rpm down to 600rmp....I think that's normal. And this car wasn't cold (temperature wise) outside....

anyway. I'll ask tommorow. See what the techs say.

Didn't start? Wierd. used Did it make clicking noises when you tried to start it up again?
BMWLotAttendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
nrana99 is an unknown quantity at this point
It did not make clicking noise. In fact it did start but shut down immediately itself. Started few times but did the same thing. But now it starts fine. Don't know what state it was in when it was doing that!

Quote:
Originally posted by clarkinc+Mar 2 2005, 10:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clarkinc @ Mar 2 2005, 10:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-nrana99@Mar 1 2005, 09:33 PM
1999 323Ci convertible

[snapback]302134[/snapback]
Hey my man...In the E46 desigh the floormatting is a problem (especially new ones). Chances are the floor mat weighed your pedal down just enough to give those extra RPMs and when you shut it down to start with the pedal in the position it was in you got gas all over the plugs which would cause it not to start. Usually just give it a while like the time you took to check and fill the oil. This does happen alot.
FYI this is because gasoline is not flammable in its liquid form, only in gas form. Gasoline evaporates and becomes a gas very quickly which is why it burns so fast and is alot more potent than diesel.
[snapback]303005[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
nrana99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BMWLotAttendant is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMWLotAttendant Send a message via MSN to BMWLotAttendant
Yeah, I asked a Master Technican....and he said it was natural for it to start at 1000rpm....and afterawhile to decrease rpm to 700-800rmp....

Anway....natural.
BMWLotAttendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
clarkinc is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by BMWLotAttendant@Mar 4 2005, 01:30 AM
Yeah, I asked a Master Technican....and he said it was natural for it to start at 1000rpm....and afterawhile to decrease rpm to 700-800rmp....

Anway....natural.
[snapback]303635[/snapback]
That is true....As a matter of fact every car after 1978 does it. It is not, however, natural for the car to raise RPM's above 2000 while idle and then not start.
clarkinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Dentz is an unknown quantity at this point
ya, as stated above by others, every good car starts off at a higher rpm, and then decreases to a lower rpm as the car warms up during cold weather. OUr mercedez even does that, so like they said above every car does it now.

btw first post, and i'm lovin these forums
Dentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)