Rotor Warp Test - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 04:35 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
atlgadawg is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Rotor Warp Test

I just replaced the front pads on my 2004 325ci before reading that you should normally replace the rotors also. The reason I changed them is for a grinding noise on the front and the sensor had not turned on the light yet. The rotors were not scored and so I cleaned and put on the pads but I still have the noise when I apply the brakes.
Is there a way to tell if the rotors are warped? Could something else cause the brakes to grind?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 05:12 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
It is really hard to tell if the rotors are warped, because even when they are, the, um, nonplanarity is only fractions of a cm. What kind of grinding noise are you getting? If your rotors are warped, you may also experience a pulsating action when you try to come to a stop from around 40 - 50 mph.

#3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 04:15 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
May not be your brakes...could be a front wheel bearing or you have a rust lip on the disc/rotor which catches the new pads...

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 07:00 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marti5 View Post
May not be your brakes...could be a front wheel bearing or you have a rust lip on the disc/rotor which catches the new pads...
It sounds like worn pads grinding on the rotor when I apply the brakes. Doesn't happen other times. Expected to see the pads about gopne but they had a little surface left. The rotors are not scored.
I have 2 rotors on the way because when i put the pads on the front left rotor would make a slight grinding sound when I hand spun it.

Any ideas of something other than brakes that might do this?

Thanks
#5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:55 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Might be the back plate slightly bent and catching the disc/rotor, you will also get a grinding noise if your pads have gone hard, due to not being bedded in correctly.

When you spin the wheel, you said you can hear a grind is it a hit and miss grind, if it is the disc has a slight warp...

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 09:37 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Found Problem

The grinding was actually coming from the rear brakes. The passenger side pad was rubbing on the edge of the brackett, no where near the pad material. Seemed weird.
I replaced the rear pads and finally got my front rotors. I had to go with the slotted rotors because the standard were back ordered. Do the slotted rotors have to go on in any certain direction? They seem to make a slight vibration noise when braking hard and I didn't know if that is due to new pads and will go away or if that is the sound/feel of the slots?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)