Resetting Computer - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 07:19 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jaygarcia is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I own a 2000 BMW 325i and need to reset the computer so the change oil message will start a new cycle. Is there a way to reset the computer without having to go to a dealer?
jaygarcia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:00 AM
n00b
 
bagpussxyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bagpussxyz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by jaygarcia@May 3 2005, 11:19 AM
I own a 2000 BMW 325i and need to reset the computer so the change oil message will start a new cycle. Is there a way to reset the computer without having to go to a dealer?
[snapback]340400[/snapback]
Hi. Yeah the easiest way is to purchase a re-setting tool which will revert the oil service lights back to all green. Have a look on E-bay or euro car parts.
bagpussxyz is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 11:44 AM
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2001BMW330iRob is an unknown quantity at this point
RESETTING OIL SERVICE INDICATOR:
If your OBC needs to be reset after completing your oil change, there are two ways. NOTE: If you miss a step, just turn the key back off and try again:

A. Model Year 1999 to Mid-2000: You should have the older round 20-pin DLC connector under your hood behind the battery terminal, you need to use a small length of wire to connect (short) pins 7 and 19 for 3-5 seconds with the ignition key in position 1 (Accessory).

B. After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done.

From the following link...

http://www.my330i.com/lof.php

2001BMW330iRob is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 02:35 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jaygarcia is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the help.




Quote:
Originally posted by 2001BMW330iRob@May 3 2005, 10:44 AM
RESETTING OIL SERVICE INDICATOR:
If your OBC needs to be reset after completing your oil change, there are two ways. NOTE: If you miss a step, just turn the key back off and try again:

A. Model Year 1999 to Mid-2000: You should have the older round 20-pin DLC connector under your hood behind the battery terminal, you need to use a small length of wire to connect (short) pins 7 and 19 for 3-5 seconds with the ignition key in position 1 (Accessory).

B. After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done.

From the following link...

http://www.my330i.com/lof.php

:thumbs
[snapback]340449[/snapback]
jaygarcia is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 05:33 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HawFlake is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by jaygarcia@May 3 2005, 05:19 AM
I own a 2000 BMW 325i and need to reset the computer so the change oil message will start a new cycle. Is there a way to reset the computer without having to go to a dealer?
[snapback]340400[/snapback]
What about disconnecting the battery, won't that do the trick? Then hold down the brake pedal to drain out the residual power.
HawFlake is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
nope disconnecting the battery doesn't reset the service lights, just looses the time on the clocks. and i have never herd the theory of pushing down on the brake pedal to drain any residual power. the best way to fully dischagre a car is to take both battery cables off the battery and touch them together for maybe a minute. that would totally discharge and capacitors through out the car.
bryan1970 is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 07:24 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jaygarcia is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I followed the procedure outlined previously and it worked like a charm.



Quote:
Originally posted by bryan1970@May 4 2005, 10:46 PM
nope disconnecting the battery doesn't reset the service lights, just looses the time on the clocks. and i have never herd the theory of pushing down on the brake pedal to drain any residual power. the best way to fully dischagre a car is to take both battery cables off the battery and touch them together for maybe a minute. that would totally discharge and capacitors through out the car.
[snapback]340957[/snapback]
jaygarcia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On Board computer dmonk 3-Series (E36) 9 08-29-2010 10:03 PM
can i retrofit 13 button onboard computer onto my car? trumer 3-Series (E21, E30) 4 11-01-2005 08:37 PM
Turning Computer (or Temp Display) On? Superfry 3-Series (E46, E90) 1 01-11-2005 01:30 PM
Trip computer not working in 88 735i ericesquire 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper 0 12-10-2003 07:24 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome