BMW Werkz banner

Resetting Computer

15K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jaygarcia 
#1 ·
I own a 2000 BMW 325i and need to reset the computer so the change oil message will start a new cycle. Is there a way to reset the computer without having to go to a dealer?

#2 ·
Originally posted by jaygarcia@May 3 2005, 11:19 AM
I own a 2000 BMW 325i and need to reset the computer so the change oil message will start a new cycle. Is there a way to reset the computer without having to go to a dealer?
[snapback]340400[/snapback]​
Hi. Yeah the easiest way is to purchase a re-setting tool which will revert the oil service lights back to all green. Have a look on E-bay or euro car parts.

#3 ·
RESETTING OIL SERVICE INDICATOR:
If your OBC needs to be reset after completing your oil change, there are two ways. NOTE: If you miss a step, just turn the key back off and try again:

A. Model Year 1999 to Mid-2000: You should have the older round 20-pin DLC connector under your hood behind the battery terminal, you need to use a small length of wire to connect (short) pins 7 and 19 for 3-5 seconds with the ignition key in position 1 (Accessory).

B. After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done.

From the following link...

http://www.my330i.com/lof.php

:thumbs

#4 ·
Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by 2001BMW330iRob@May 3 2005, 10:44 AM
RESETTING OIL SERVICE INDICATOR:
If your OBC needs to be reset after completing your oil change, there are two ways. NOTE: If you miss a step, just turn the key back off and try again:

A. Model Year 1999 to Mid-2000: You should have the older round 20-pin DLC connector under your hood behind the battery terminal, you need to use a small length of wire to connect (short) pins 7 and 19 for 3-5 seconds with the ignition key in position 1 (Accessory).

B. After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done.

From the following link...

http://www.my330i.com/lof.php

:thumbs
[snapback]340449[/snapback]​

#5 ·
Originally posted by jaygarcia@May 3 2005, 05:19 AM
[snapback]340400[/snapback]​
What about disconnecting the battery, won't that do the trick? Then hold down the brake pedal to drain out the residual power.

#6 ·
nope disconnecting the battery doesn't reset the service lights, just looses the time on the clocks. and i have never herd the theory of pushing down on the brake pedal to drain any residual power. the best way to fully dischagre a car is to take both battery cables off the battery and touch them together for maybe a minute. that would totally discharge and capacitors through out the car.

#7 ·
I followed the procedure outlined previously and it worked like a charm.

Originally posted by bryan1970@May 4 2005, 10:46 PM
nope disconnecting the battery doesn't reset the service lights, just looses the time on the clocks. and i have never herd the theory of pushing down on the brake pedal to drain any residual power. the best way to fully dischagre a car is to take both battery cables off the battery and touch them together for maybe a minute. that would totally discharge and capacitors through out the car.
[snapback]340957[/snapback]​

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.