BMW Werkz banner

Replacing Stereo Head Unit On '05 330ci

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Howie 
#1 ·
Found some spare change and started thinking about redoing the stereo in my '05 330 Ci. It seems, from prior threads, that there is at least one device (any others) that will permit use of the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket head unit (PAC SWIX). Anyone install it? Any comments on performance? Seems like it interfaces with the steering controls and then generates programmable/customizable IR signals for head units with IR remotes.

I'm also concerned about the interface between the head unit and the Bluetooth in the car. I love my Bluetooth--dealer installed version, not the "from the factory" version (I've got an early '05). The volume control on the stereo is linked with the BT system, so you can adjust how loud the BT speakers are--system also mutes/pauses CDs during calls. The display on the stereo also interfaces in the sense that it shows "phone" when BT is in use, and I think it also has some info that is relatively needed during the pairing process.

Do you lose all that stuff? Anyone have any info on trying to preserve that kind of functionality? I'd really like to upgrade to an alpine system with the *real* iPod interface and put some speakers and amps in there that would give me some better sound.

Anything else I should be thinking about?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a nice Sony head unit with a small tft screen. I got the lead which connects it behind the dash to enable the steering wheel buttons to work. From what I can gather there are leads for most manufacturers of head units. Mine are made by autoleads. http://www.autoleads.co.uk/home.html

I have my sony running two amps in the boot, 2 12" subs, and all speakers replaced in the original pods inside the car. The amps are mounted behind glass with lighting in the boot, and the sub box is moulded into the boot. Looks lovely. :eek:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.