Replace Fog Light Bulb in 2000 e46 Sedan - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2006, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
kwtleung is on a distinguished road
Replace Fog Light Bulb in 2000 e46 Sedan

Anyone knows how to take out the fog light unit in 2000 e46 sedan for bulb replacement? I've attached a photo of my fog light. Hope someone could help~
kwtleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2006, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hootie is on a distinguished road
Use a plastic prybar or a screwdriver wrapped in cloth or duct tape (something that won't scratch the paint) and insert just behind the fog light edge closest to the license plate. Leverage it and it'll pop out. The light is held in place by sliding it into the opening against the wheel side and sticking a small knob through a retaining clip... that likes to break, fyi. If you can, swing by your local BMW shop and pick up a couple of those clips, just incase.
Hootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks Hootie~ I've successfully replaced the fog bulb with your help, and I've taken some photos, hope its helpful to someone who's DIY newbie like me

1. As Hootie suggested, pop the Fog using a plastic prybar or a screwdriver wrapped in cloth or duct tape (something that won't scratch the paint) and insert just behind the fog light edge closest to the license plate. Leverage it and it'll pop out.

2. Take out the fog unit and remove the wire attached to it

3. After taking out the fog unit, tuen the bulb to release and take it out

Reverse the procedure to install the fog unit back into your car~ Hope this would be helpful to other e46 owner, and Thanks again for Hootie's help~ :lol:
Old 06-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Nice job kwt, how many miles on your 328i? You have practically the same car I do, right down to the paint color. Just wait til you have to replace the intake camshaft sensor... mmmm, fun.

PM me if you need any DIY advice on the car... I've been doing all my own work for the past year (brake pads and rotors, sensors, tune-ups, and soon to be tranny fluid/filter swap).
Old 06-16-2006, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
RedbeautyIS is an unknown quantity at this point
e46

kwtleung, for some reason I cannot view the pics u posted. Could you e-mail them to me? PM me if u can. I also learned how to change the corner lights onthis kewl site. Thanks,

Hootie, I would like to also take you up on the knowledge bank of 2000 328i sedans. I have this car in red. Pretty frustrating though after coming out of a 96 328is with sport package and manual, what a difference. Also note my post about the ABS service bulliten,have you heard of this?
RedbeautyIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootie
Nice job kwt, how many miles on your 328i? You have practically the same car I do, right down to the paint color. Just wait til you have to replace the intake camshaft sensor... mmmm, fun.

PM me if you need any DIY advice on the car... I've been doing all my own work for the past year (brake pads and rotors, sensors, tune-ups, and soon to be tranny fluid/filter swap).
Mine is about 50000km~ It's a really nice car, I love it especially the color (Dark Gray, rarely find it in Hong Kong..hehe).

It's nice to meet an expert like you who own exactly the same car as me~ (I'm totally a DIY newbie). The next thing I'm planning to do is to change the engine oil of it. But there are too many types of engine oil available in the market (0W40, 5W40...etc). Which one will be the best for our 328i? Any suggested brand? Thanks~ :lol:
Old 06-17-2006, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
I'm hardly an expert, I've just been under my car enough and on these forums for a good length to know a few key items. I started as a DIY newbie about a year ago with spark plug and oil changes. Amazing what a Bentley service manual and a fault-code reader can do.

For oil, buy the BMW brand 5W-30. My dealership sells it for $5 a liter, but try www.bavauto.com for $6 a liter. Bavauto.com is a prime place for parts and technical assistance for your car (they're located in New Hampshire though, bit of a time difference for you).
Old 06-25-2006, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1999 BMW 323i
Photos:
LatinGod is on a distinguished road
Are there any Xenon type Fog Lights for this car?? or a 323i 1999??
LatinGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Do you want "Xenon-like" bulbs or full HID replacement kits? The answer is yes and yes... now how much money do you want to spend?
Old 06-26-2006, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1999 BMW 323i
Photos:
LatinGod is on a distinguished road
Can I have HID fog lights?? ok, how would I put it without sounding too cocky...money is not a problem....so where can I get them for my 323i 99??
LatinGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
ilovenicotine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinGod
Can I have HID fog lights?? ok, how would I put it without sounding too cocky...money is not a problem....so where can I get them for my 323i 99??

http://www.bimmian.com/46

go to "hid conversions for fog and headlights" link
ilovenicotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)