Removing original stereo - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 12:57 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mfaleni is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Removing original stereo

I Just bought an ipod and i woul like to conect it directly to the stereo. I have some knowledge removing stereos and installing audio systems, but this is my firs bimmer and do not want to mess it up... If anyone could give me basic instructions in how to do this i will really appreciate it...ill take it from there....

Thanx a lot

Mitch...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 07:18 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PCsizmadia is on a distinguished road
My advice is, if this is your first bimmer get a professional to do it. It'll take them less than half the time and they won't wreck anything. I just replaced (not personally -- I had it done at a car audio shop) my "Business CD" factory deck with a new high-end Alpine head unit -- and there were an awful lot of wires coming out of the back of that thing! The connected iPod sits in the glove box and all the iPod screen's functionality now works on the new deck. (This probably won't be the case if you get an Icelink or some such.)

If you DO decide to do it on your own, one key item is that to get enough room to manouver behind the dash, you have to pop out the center vents -- not an easy thing, especially if they've never been popped out before. Whatever you do, don't use a screwdriver. You'll wreck the plastic around it. Take off the trim around the deck and use your thumbs to pop the bottom of the vents out.

The other thing was the glove compartment has to be detached. Luckily, though, you won't have to do any drilling to get the wires for the iPod (which I'm guessing you're planning to store in the glove box).

Whatever you decide ... good luck and happy listening/driving!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)