Rear Ended Last Night - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jennsydandrew is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Last night my wife and I were traveling on the freeway and were rear ended in my New/Used 2001 330xi. I'd say we were going about 10 mph (traffic bottleneck) and the 16 YEAR OLD that hit us was going about 45mph (Dodge Spirit). Anyway, the reason I am writing this is because when I got out of my car to check the damage I was simply amazed at the LACK of damage. I expected my back end to be crumpled to hell. Nevertheless, I was able to drive the car home. I will take it to BMW tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01524.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	13549  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 06:48 PM
What? No Autobahn?

jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
that sucks! fake a neck injury and sue :P

#3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 08:27 PM
n00b

soon2bezhp is an unknown quantity at this point
damage usually always ends up being more than it appears. looks like you got some decklid and lt 1/4 dmg as well. your talking body and paint work, rplcement of emblems. detrim etc. and those bumper components arent too cheap especially when having to get the mldgs etc. did you check underneath the vehicle. make sure you dont have any floor pan or frame rail dmg. when getting hit in the rear its common for the impact to push into the rear body of the vehicle then the bumper to pop back out being that its plastic making the dmg seem minimal. i've run into this plenty of times. its quite possible the rear body panel is dmged. depending on how hard he hit you could be something like 2000 worth of dmg ballpark. make sure to take to a trusted shop. on hits like that its not always necesarry (or wise) to go to a dealer unless they have a quality shop. sorry for the news but at least it appears mostly cosmetic and easily fixed. and faking an injury doesnt hurt. could get a few hundred dollars in return just by saying your a little sore :P
#4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 09:09 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by soon2bezhp@Oct 17 2004, 07:27 PM
damage usually always ends up being more than it appears. looks like you got some decklid and lt 1/4 dmg as well. your talking body and paint work, rplcement of emblems. detrim etc. and those bumper components arent too cheap especially when having to get the mldgs etc. did you check underneath the vehicle. make sure you dont have any floor pan or frame rail dmg. when getting hit in the rear its common for the impact to push into the rear body of the vehicle then the bumper to pop back out being that its plastic making the dmg seem minimal. i've run into this plenty of times. its quite possible the rear body panel is dmged. depending on how hard he hit you could be something like 2000 worth of dmg ballpark. make sure to take to a trusted shop. on hits like that its not always necesarry (or wise) to go to a dealer unless they have a quality shop. sorry for the news but at least it appears mostly cosmetic and easily fixed. and faking an injury doesnt hurt. could get a few hundred dollars in return just by saying your a little sore :P
[snapback]213043[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. I had planned on taking it to THE ONLY BMW dealership in Utah. So, you would suggest taking it to another qualified Bimmer repair shop? I did look underneath and I couldn't tell if what I saw was supposed to be curved or not. It was on a metal beam right behind the bumper, right hand side (as you are under the car).
#5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 12:01 PM
n00b

soon2bezhp is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by jennsydandrew+Oct 17 2004, 10:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jennsydandrew @ Oct 17 2004, 10:09 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-soon2bezhp@Oct 17 2004, 07:27 PM
damage usually always ends up being more than it appears. looks like you got some decklid and lt 1/4 dmg as well. your talking body and paint work, rplcement of emblems. detrim etc. and those bumper components arent too cheap especially when having to get the mldgs etc. did you check underneath the vehicle. make sure you dont have any floor pan or frame rail dmg. when getting hit in the rear its common for the impact to push into the rear body of the vehicle then the bumper to pop back out being that its plastic making the dmg seem minimal. i've run into this plenty of times. its quite possible the rear body panel is dmged. depending on how hard he hit you could be something like 2000 worth of dmg ballpark. make sure to take to a trusted shop. on hits like that its not always necesarry (or wise) to go to a dealer unless they have a quality shop. sorry for the news but at least it appears mostly cosmetic and easily fixed. and faking an injury doesnt hurt. could get a few hundred dollars in return just by saying your a little sore* :P
[snapback]213043[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. I had planned on taking it to THE ONLY BMW dealership in Utah. So, you would suggest taking it to another qualified Bimmer repair shop? I did look underneath and I couldn't tell if what I saw was supposed to be curved or not. It was on a metal beam right behind the bumper, right hand side (as you are under the car).
[snapback]213066[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

depends on the quality of your bmw dealer's shop. pretty much any shop can work on any car. if its a reputable shop use them. personally in my local, i wouldnt take it to my bmw's shop. i know much better independent shops who do better work. they just order the parts from bmw and fix it. make sure they use oem/bmw parts etc. is this going through insurance? being that your vehicle is 2001 they may try to put used or a/m parts on. used isnt too bad since its still oem. as long as they are clean. but most shops wont use trashed used parts. a/m is a different story but being an 01 bmw ur probably fine. the beam ur talking about is probably the reinforcement bar. that possibly could be bent but they always replace them if so since its considered a safety time. once they get it apart they can really assess the damage. sometimes its difficult to tell whats supposed to be bent and not. but good look with it. shouldnt be too big of a deal as long as you take it to a place w/ a good track record.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 10:06 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the information guys!
#7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
I feel your pain. Had a bump myself.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 12:20 PM
Neutral Member

GnarlyCow is an unknown quantity at this point
Your BMW dealerships do bodywork? The ones around the Toronto area do not. They all farm the work out to other repair shops to do the work. They don't have any bodywork or paints at any of the BMW service areas (at least that I have seen). My bodywork was done at a place called Owasco which is a Volkswagon dealership strangely enough.

I'm not sure how insurance works in the US, but here, if you get rear-ended, the other driver's insurance company has to pay for the repairs....so just get everything completely replaced.
#9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 02:19 PM
2nd Gear Member

Gulelin is an unknown quantity at this point
Hopefully there's no frame or rail damage. Let us know!

Titsilver metallic 2004 330 Xi 6speed manual
#10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 06:41 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
I take it in tomorrow. I need to get my baby fixed... I miss her!!! (I know, I'm pathetic).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)