BMW Werkz banner

Rear Differential Problem!!!

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  king2218 
#1 ·
I recently just bought a 2003 325i about a month ago from a private seller with about 52,000 miles on it...About two weeks back, I started to hear some whining noise when I was accerelating...I took it to tuffy auto center to get it checked today and they said "My left carrier bearing & pinion bearing in differential assembly are the source and that my differential needs to be rebuilt or replaced." They said they wouldn't be able to do this and that I have to take it to a dealer...Has anybody ever had this problem before??? And would I HAVE to replace the differential or should I be good with just replacing the left carrier bearing & pinion bearing??

#2 ·
Was this car ever in an accedent? that is definatly weird....

#3 ·
drain oil first and inspect for bits of metal in the oil... if yes, then u have diff problems. If no abnormal chunks of metal in the oil... maybe replace with fresh oil and look elsewhere ;)

depending on where you are and the kind of access you have to parts(i.e. used diffs) replacing the whole diff might be a better idea than to take down & rebuild it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.