Questions for a new buyer - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 12:56 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jc316 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Questions for a new buyer

Hello ALL!

I just wanted to get the opinions from current/former BMW drivers in hopes of finalizing my decision!

Currently I have my mind set on getting a 335i sedan.

The reason I have done this is because I like having four doors and feel that the coupe is just too uncomfortable for myself and other riding passengers. The Conv's trunk is just too small! Which is why I picked the Sedan.

I'm wondering.... the 335xi.... other than driving in the snow is there any real reason to get one?

The current vehicle I'm considering has some options that I'd like second opinons on. I have my mind set on getting the following options:

*Cold Weather Package ( Fold down rear seats/ Heated front seats/ and retractable headlight washers $1150)

*M Sport Package $3,750 (18' M Light alloy Star-spoke wheels with mixed performance tires/ Sport seats/ Park Distance Control (rear)/ Sport Suspension/ M steering w/ paddle shifters/ Aerodynamic Package/ Shadowline trim/ Anthracite headliner/ Increased top speed limiter

*Premium Package $2,650 (Universal Garage Door Opener/ Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors/ Auto-dimming rearview mirror/ Lumbar support/ Digital Compass/ BMW Assist/ Leather Dakota

I would like opinions on whether this is good to have or not seeing how nothing is truly necessary!

Anti-theft alarm system $400 : is this anything special or just loud sounds at touch?

Rear Manual side window shades $575 : Is this something good to have even with good tint?

Navigation system : $2100 ????

Premium Hi-fi : $875 Anyone have this?

I realize that alot of this stuff I don't need but when I see how expensive the navi is, not sure if I want to get it. Is there any reason to get it other than the fact that it has navigation? To xi or not.

Other than that, I'm getting a pretty good deal I think:

$36,450 = 335i Sedan

$1325 = Auto Trans

Free = Comfort Access System

Free = iPod and USB adapter

Free = Tint

Free = Floor mats

Hopefully with your help I'll be able to decide if I need the rest!

Colors I'm thinking are Glacier Silver Aluminum Trim / Black lined Red seats/ White Exterior. Anyone see how the Chestnut Brown Dakota Leather looks in person?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 09:13 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
If you're rarely or never in slippery conditions, the AWD is just more weight and less fuel economy.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 02:11 AM
5th Gear Member

denyo77 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Chestnut brown dakota leather looks great, but best on grey/black/blue cars
If you want white, go with red or black leather

#4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:28 AM
2nd Gear Member

bighorns is on a distinguished road
I would never buy Navi in a car because the the Navi on my phone is great, and constantly updated, and it's cheap.
The cold weather package looks great---I wish my rear seats folded whenever I want to haul a long box!
Sport package would be a must for me on a 335, but the xi really sounds un-necessary unless you drive on ice 6 months out of the year.
Stick with tint only---had shades in the rear of our Oddesey and only used when babies were in the car.
Other than these must haves, add what you can afford and you won't wish for it later!
#5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 08:20 PM
n00b

Bimmermann is on a distinguished road
Question

335 i or xi, without going bi-turbo is, to me just a whim. Everything else is as described by BMW, but without knowing where you drive I cannot give any good opinion.

Chau, Bim.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 10:01 PM
n00b

Kraft_E90_werK is on a distinguished road
Nice thread. I just got into an 09 335i WITHOUT navi and the other "bells and whistles". simply manual transmission and the sports tuned suspension. (black on black)

IMO, don't pay for anything you're not going to use or dont plan on using. Like bighorns said, I use my phone for my navi, without paying the 2100 bucks.

2009 BMW 335i
#7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 02:28 AM
n00b

dr-wall is on a distinguished road
just my opinion

Hi, I recently had my 2006 330i in for regular service and was first given a 2009 323 and then my salesperson's 335i.......boy what a difference.

My 330i has everything save for navi, comfort access, park distance control, and sun shades. Going from mine to the 323 with leatherette ....yuck.........gotta have the feel and smell of the dakota leather, along with the nicer steering wheel. Besides you get the universal remote which is great so you don't have to bring along your home's garage door opener. As well, this package gives you lumbar support which I recommend.

The 323 didn't have the alarm and I missed the chirp when locking and unlocking. Just my preference. You probably could buy a better alarm aftermarket.

I think the Logic 7 stereo is every bit as good as the premium hi-fi that is offered now. I wouldn't spend the money.

Folding rear seat and heated seats are a must even if you don't drive her in the winter. On a rainy cold fall day the heated seats are great after a long day in the office. Does the wife take you antiquing?....you need the fold down seats.

Once in the 335i I noticed that the navi or I-controller has been redesigned and much more user friendly. I'm one who likes toys and the looks of this system now. Looks great in the car and a great conversation piece. I always thought my wife was a great navigator but I think this just looks sharp.....expensive yes but it makes the car.

Are you getting the sport package. The nicer wheels are here. Again I think they make the car. Buying a 335i without Sports package is silly because it is a driver's car.

M sport package.......nice but as you get older it looks a little too much boy racer to me...the car is already very tasteful.....boy I'm getting old.

X-drive: I've driven all wheel drive sport cars before and they do handle well. You can go into corners harder/deeper and come out on the gas sooner. I think there is a weight penalty here along with different wheel/tire packages that do not tailor to sporty driving. If you don't drive the car in the winter don't bother.

Anyways, good luck and this is just my two bits.

Walter
#8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 06:29 AM
n00b

I got the sports package. I dont know what the car would be like without it.

2009 BMW 335i
#9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 09:26 AM
2nd Gear Member

bighorns is on a distinguished road
Haven't heard back from the OP. Did you get the car yet? What did you end up with?
#10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
The all wheel drive system is useless unless you drive in the snow a lot. Also, the navigation system is not that great on these cars and a waste of $$$ in my opinion. Personally, I'd get the manual over the automatic but that's just me.
#11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:49 AM
n00b

my salesman tried to get me into the automatic with the whole "re-sale value will be higher" line....i laughed in his face and told him to get me the manual.

Long story short...get a manual!!

2009 BMW 335i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)