Questions before purchasing 325/Help Needed Please - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2004, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
K.E.P. is an unknown quantity at this point
I just totaled my 95' honda accord coupe last weekend. I have always loved the style of the current 3-series, so I figured I would them a look. I have a few questions if anyone can help me out. First, I will discribe the car I am looking at.

2002 325i
Sport and Premium Packages
Red Color/Tan Interior
Basically every option except HK sound system
65000 miles
Car looks brand new, incredible condition
Dealer is asking (22,000)

#1. Is this too high for a car with this mileage, but mint condition?

#2. I am coming from a bullet-proof accord, and am a little worried about reliability issues. Should I be?

Thanks for any available opinions.

KEP
K.E.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2004, 12:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
jefft325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by K.E.P.@Aug 11 2004, 12:11 AM
I just totaled my 95' honda accord coupe last weekend. I have always loved the style of the current 3-series, so I figured I would them a look. I have a few questions if anyone can help me out. First, I will discribe the car I am looking at.

2002 325i
Sport and Premium Packages
Red Color/Tan Interior
Basically every option except HK sound system
65000 miles
Car looks brand new, incredible condition
Dealer is asking (22,000)

#1. Is this too high for a car with this mileage, but mint condition?

#2. I am coming from a bullet-proof accord, and am a little worried about reliability issues. Should I be?

Thanks for any available opinions.

KEP
I think that price sounds reasonable. I think a 2002 325i loaded up would generally fetch more like 25K (depending on where you live), but considering the high miles, it's probably fair. When you say every option but H/K, does it have the cold weather package (heated seats, fold down rear seats, and ski bag), bi-xenon headlights (very popular option, most people end up regretting it when they buy a 3 w/o xenon), navigation, etc.?

BTW, most would agree the H/K is a waste of $ so don't feel bad if it doesn't have it.

In terms of reliability, Honda will always hold the edge over BMW. With that said, I've had no problems whatsoever with my 325i, but on average, I see more complaints about reliability in the BMW forums than a Honda forum.

Many people will say - they knew up front that buying a BMW had some reliability risks, but they love the car, so they deal with it.

In terms of driving pleasure, the accord can't even compare. Go for it - I don't think you'll regret it

And, is this a stick or auto?
jefft325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
K.E.P. is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the reply. Yes it has heated seats and xenons. The car is so clean. It looks brand new, but the odometer just happens to read 64,000. Thanks for the help.

KEP
K.E.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
PMB
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
PMB is an unknown quantity at this point
I pretty much agree with the previous poster. I changed my Honda Prelude for a very late E30 7 years ago. In those 7 years I had very few problems. I changed it last month for a '99 328iSE, apparently good condition etc. The stereo is awful and BMW should be ashamed considering the cost of that level of car.

I have had the car for 6 weeks. There was a seriously heavy rain storm last weekend and for some reason the passenger footwell got totally soaked. An a result (I guess) the airbag light has come on. I managed to dry the footwell out now. I took the car to the dealer yesterday and (with more storms approaching) he said see what happens. It has not leaked again. The dealer had suggested it was maybe a drainage overflow issue. I am going to have a look at it over the weekend and see if i can trace anything water-wise. The dealer said to take it back to him to get the airbag checked and reset next week.

It is a little annoying but it has not put me off the car.
PMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
KMP
n00b

Car:
Photos:
KMP is an unknown quantity at this point
Just switched from a '97 Honda Accord LX coupe 5 speed manual tranny to an '04 325xi 5 speed manual with performance and cold weather packages and I couldn't be happier.

I've had several frustrating problems with my Honda and Honda's efforts to fix one particular problem with a malfunctioning oxygen sensor. I must have taken it to half a dozen local Honda dealers over 2 years to get taht one problem fixed correctly. The drivers side electric window and the stereo have both crapped out. While I replaced the stereo with a nice aftermarket Alpine from Crutchfield, the replacement motor for the window sucks.

I've only put just under 600 miles on my BMW and I hate to pull the key out of the ignition that's how much I enjoy driving it. There's no comparison with the Accord. I never enjoyed driving the Accord. It was under powered, had a bumpy ride, cornered poorly, and had a wider turning radius than a tractor trailer.

Go with the BMW and you won't regret it.
KMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
mankiks323i is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by PMB@Aug 11 2004, 08:21 AM

I have had the car for 6 weeks. There was a seriously heavy rain storm last weekend and for some reason the passenger footwell got totally soaked. An a result (I guess) the airbag light has come on. I managed to dry the footwell out now. I took the car to the dealer yesterday and (with more storms approaching) he said see what happens. It has not leaked again. The dealer had suggested it was maybe a drainage overflow issue. I am going to have a look at it over the weekend and see if i can trace anything water-wise. The dealer said to take it back to him to get the airbag checked and reset next week.

It is a little annoying but it has not put me off the car.
hey pmb also check your door vaper barriors i had the same problem with water in footwell these are known to peel off and let water in when it rains i replaced mine because i had holes in it from dealer doing some work and ripping it. As for kep any car you have will have problems the bmw is a nice car and fun to drive
Old 08-11-2004, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
PMB
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
PMB is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the tip. I will check the door.
PMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)