Question for Windshield Expert - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 09:23 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FrankieMyOne is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Question for Windshield Expert

Guys, I'm really desperate for help here. I had a windshield replaced recently and I'm going around and around with the installer. He insists that he got me OEM glass, yet there is no BMW logo on the driver's side of the windshield. The manufacturer of the glass is "FUJIAN YANHUA" and the logo on the glass is FY. This FY company is located in China. Is this an OEM manufacturer?

I guess I didn't really tell the guy I wanted "Factory" glass, just OEM. Didn't know until now that there is a difference. This is why I need help knowing if FY is OEM glass or not.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 03:04 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
OEM glass has a BMW logo etched in to it. If it does not have this then it isnt a factory windshield. I have seen the FY glass before. Its not OEM. Do you have a rain sensor? If so then you absolutely want Factory BMW glass otherwise it will not work correctly.

DT

#3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 10:36 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Tool
OEM glass has a BMW logo etched in to it. If it does not have this then it isnt a factory windshield. I have seen the FY glass before. Its not OEM. Do you have a rain sensor? If so then you absolutely want Factory BMW glass otherwise it will not work correctly.
This is what I originally thought. Then after more research I've found out that using OEM and Factory synonymously to refer to auto glass is a misnomer. Moreover, that Factory glass is from the manufacturer (i.e. BMW logo), and OEM glass is built to exact manufacturer glass specs, but by a different company. And then there is the infamous third type of auto glass that we all know as "aftermarket" glass. I was told I would know if I had aftermarket glass because the tint wouldn't match and the rain sensor would not work at all. And on my "FY" glass, the rain sensor does work, and the tint matches the rest of my glass. Have you ever known this to be true about the three types of auto glass? I need to know for sure on this because when I asked for my glass I didn't know any better but to say OEM, and that's what I asked for. Not knowing that Factory is what I really wanted. So I probably got what I asked for, that's why I need to know for sure if this "FY" glass is OEM or not, otherwise, I don't really have a leg to standon.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 10:49 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
What car do you have?

#5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 11:00 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz
What car do you have?
2001 330CI
#6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 11:01 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz
What car do you have?
Here are the markings on the glass (all on the passenger side):

An "FY" logo which I found out is the company FUJIAN YANHUA based in China.

AS1 M848
DOT-459
FW2164
6....*
#7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 01:28 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Pilkington and PPG are the 2 companies that supply BMW with glass to the best of my knowledge.
I dont believe FY does.

DT

#8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 09:40 AM
n00b

fearethnoman is on a distinguished road
i can tell you that for certain that FY glass is not only NOT OEM but it is NOT even OE quality.

there is OEM, which is the original manufacturers glass with logo.. also known as dealer glass.

then there is OE glass which is the same quality, specifications, style, look and performance of the original windshield which may or may not be made by a the same manufacturer.

then there is DOT glass which meets ONLY the minimum standard set by the Dept Of Transportation. this glass is NOT the same quality of the OE glass. it looks the same and thats it.

"glass is glass" right?

thats like saying that a diamond and a cubic zirconia are the same thing.

for you car guys out there think about it like this.. a corvette has a "Z" rated tire that is for instance 345/30ZR19

it might be made by michelin. you can get the SAME rated tire from good year. its the same quality, size and performance, 60,000 mile, steel belted etc..

you can go get an off brand tire that is the same size, it fits, but thats all.

i do hope this clarifies this for you a bit

if you want OE quality glass, the biggest is PPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)