BMW Werkz banner

Putting 18's On My Car

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  EnvyM3 
#1 ·
I am ordering new 18" rims for my car w/ low profile tires and was wonering if I would need to make any adjustments to the suspension. Also, how much difference will the drive and bumps be? Will it give a much harder ride?

#2 ·
Originally posted by EnvyM3@Feb 25 2005, 02:34 PM
I am ordering new 18" rims for my car w/ low profile tires and was wonering if I would need to make any adjustments to the suspension. Also, how much difference will the drive and bumps be? Will it give a much harder ride?
[snapback]299104[/snapback]​
I used to have a 318i with only the 15" wheels. I wanted to put the MV alloys on which are 18". The dealer looked up on their system and said all 3 series will take 18", but you might need to put steering blocks (not sure what they are really called) as the wheels are wider and you would need to reduce the turning circle slightly. Remember when buying some that BMW's are supposed to have wider on the back than the front. 3 series with 182 should have 225/40/18 tyres on the front, 255/35/18 on the rear. :eek:)

#4 ·
Originally posted by EnvyM3@Feb 28 2005, 03:15 PM
Howie,
Thanks for the feedback
[snapback]300897[/snapback]​
The difference I have noticed with the ride is you do get pulled in to bumps, and on roads where lorries have worn channels in, you tend to feel like you get sucked into them, but it doesn't bother me, reminds me I have nice big wheels. You'll have to post a photo if you get some. :eek:)

#5 ·
Originally posted by EnvyM3@Feb 28 2005, 10:15 AM
Howie,
Thanks for the feedback
Also, if you car came stock with 15' rims, going to 18's will stress out the wheel bearings I think. Wheel bearings are supposed to last 100K miles or more, but the added stress may cause the need to change them sooner....

Also, low profile tires will make your ride harsher, and low-profile tires tend to ear out sooner than others. Finally, low profile tires provide less protection to your rim from potholes etc because there is less rubber on them...

hope this helps

#6 ·
Originally posted by jisang1+Feb 28 2005, 06:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jisang1 @ Feb 28 2005, 06:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-EnvyM3@Feb 28 2005, 10:15 AM
Howie,
Thanks for the feedback
Also, if you car came stock with 15' rims, going to 18's will stress out the wheel bearings I think. Wheel bearings are supposed to last 100K miles or more, but the added stress may cause the need to change them sooner....

Also, low profile tires will make your ride harsher, and low-profile tires tend to ear out sooner than others. Finally, low profile tires provide less protection to your rim from potholes etc because there is less rubber on them...

hope this helps
[snapback]301210[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]
I am actually switching from 16's to 18's so do I still have to worry about the bearings?

#7 ·
EnvyM3 - you have the same car as me. I went from your stocks to ACS 18"

I had to do nothing to get them on. Its a direct switch. no spacers or anything required. I do have spacers on mine just because I wanted to bring them out a bit but they will fit no problems without spacers.

It depends on your offset of the wheel. If you purchase wheels that have an offset made for your car, you are totally fine. To my understanding anything 9" or wider wheels in the back will start to rub. So 8.5" wide wheels will gaurantee a problemless fit.

To my knowledge 255/35 tires for the rear is the max we can handle without rubbing.

You dont need to adjust suspension but it may look a bit goofy without a drop on 18s. The ride should be a bit harsher (just a bit) especially on bumps and road noise should increase. You will feel more from your hands with your new set of wheels.

#8 ·
Originally posted by EnvyM3+Feb 28 2005, 07:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EnvyM3 @ Feb 28 2005, 07:07 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by jisang1@Feb 28 2005, 06:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-EnvyM3
@Feb 28 2005, 10:15 AM
Howie,
Thanks for the feedback

hope this helps
I am actually switching from 16's to 18's so do I still have to worry about the bearings?

On the 2000 323i (which is what I think you have...right?), 15" was stock....16" was an option.....If I was you I would check before upgrading....just incase....
[snapback]301257[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

#9 ·
Originally posted by jisang1+Feb 28 2005, 07:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jisang1 @ Feb 28 2005, 07:15 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by EnvyM3@Feb 28 2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by jisang1@Feb 28 2005, 06:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-EnvyM3
@Feb 28 2005, 10:15 AM
Howie,
Thanks for the feedback

hope this helps

On the 2000 323i (which is what I think you have...right?), 15" was stock....16" was an option.....If I was you I would check before upgrading....just incase....
[snapback]301257[/snapback]​
[snapback]301262[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Mine is a ci so it came with the 16's stock and 17 was the upgrade option.

Woobiee thanks for the input, my next question was going to be about the width but you already answered it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.