Pulled Codes now need help.... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 05:13 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fernando323 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

I recently purchased a 1999 323I a few days ago my check engine light came on so I purchased the Peek Tool to pull the codes.. It rendered these three codes. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Code 6A “VANOS, Exhaust mechanical stuck”
Code F5 “Secondary Air System Flow Too Low”, Cyl 1-3
Code F6 “Secondary Air System Flow Too Low”, Cyl 4-6

The car seems to run fine however being the new owner I can tell if anything would feel different than normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 09:02 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lwebb12 Send a message via Yahoo to lwebb12
yikes that doesnt sound good. ill pm extech and he should be able to tell you.

Member 150+ MPH club
Member of the 3-Pedal club
Memebr BMW FORUMS V1 CLUB
JL Audio 13W7 in W7 pro wedge box powered by JL Audio 1000/1 slash series amp. JL Audio RBC. V1 hardwired.
Euro First Aid Kit, warning triangle, and fire extinguisher. Euro Storage bin Mod. UUC Stage III lightweight flywheel/clutch.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 11:24 AM
2nd Gear Member

EXtech is an unknown quantity at this point
those are some odd codes, kind of. I doubt that they are related at all. To me the secondary air flow codes are due to the secondary air pump either malfunctioning or a deteriorated hose that is leaking. Have you been hearing any strange noises? Mostly at first start up? A whining or loud howling noise, usually at cold start, is indicative of a malfunctioning air pump. It is possible that the pump is no longer working or barely at all. Most likely one of those codes are older than the other and was stored in memory. The VANOS code sounds to me like there might be a mechanical problem with the vanos unit. I think there might have been some recall on that. I can't remember, that would be something to check with your favorite dealer on. It could be an actuator problem. If possible, if your code puller will tell you, find out the frequency of the codes and last occurrance. If one was just a one-time occurence then I would clear it and see if it happens again. Of course, if you have any type of warranty (factory or aftermarket) then i would take the car in. If checking this stuff out is something you would want to do yourself, you can send me an email or pm me and I'll help you check it out the best I can via email, unless you are anywhere near where I am.

STETT Performance -
Everything BMW
921 J Place, Suite 200
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

OEM Repairs and Maintenance
Extended Warranty Service
Pre-Purchase Inspections
Everything Performance (brakes, turbos, Nitrous, Cams, Complete Engines, Clutches/Flywheels etc)
-----------

STETT Performance Official Grand Opening BMW Meet, May 6th 11A-3P -- Music, Food, Drawings and Tons of BMW's go to http://206.123.107.13/stett and register.. it's FREE
#4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 11:26 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lwebb12 Send a message via Yahoo to lwebb12
thanks Extech

Member 150+ MPH club
Member of the 3-Pedal club
Memebr BMW FORUMS V1 CLUB
JL Audio 13W7 in W7 pro wedge box powered by JL Audio 1000/1 slash series amp. JL Audio RBC. V1 hardwired.
Euro First Aid Kit, warning triangle, and fire extinguisher. Euro Storage bin Mod. UUC Stage III lightweight flywheel/clutch.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 12:06 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thank you both for your quick replies… I should add that the code numbers where in the format that my reader read….However in Dealer format the codes where as follows does this change anything? I have reset the engine light and cleared the codes. Assuming the light will re appear in a day or two.
Friday I ordered the Bentley service manual on CD (should arrive Thursday) I will the start trouble shooting. Is this Hose or pump you mentioned visible that I may be able to check before I receive the CD?

Once again both your help is and was greatly appreciated.

Code 106 “VANOS, Exhaust mechanically stuck”
Code 245 “Secondary Air System Flow Too Low”, Cyl 1-3
Code 246 “Secondary Air System Flow Too Low”, Cyl 4-6

#6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 03:30 PM
2nd Gear Member

EXtech is an unknown quantity at this point
the secondary air pump is the black thing on the passenger side up next to the firewall. It should have a black plastic hose coming off of it. It may have two. You can check the operation of it in the a.m. on first starts. You should hear and/or feel it come on. I would check the connecting hose(s) also. I would pull the pump out and check it. Loosen the 10mm nuts (i think there's 3) and remove. You'll have to disconnect the hose(s) by squeezing and working loose. I would check the electrical connector too. On occasion I have found water in those connectors resulting in an improper connection. Once you have the pump out, then check to see if it is full of water and soot. Follow the hose(s) and check for any kind of cracking or deterioration. Without being there it makes it hard to point you in the exact direction, plus I don't have one right in front of me. I hope I have helped.

STETT Performance -
Everything BMW
921 J Place, Suite 200
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

OEM Repairs and Maintenance
Extended Warranty Service
Pre-Purchase Inspections
Everything Performance (brakes, turbos, Nitrous, Cams, Complete Engines, Clutches/Flywheels etc)
-----------

STETT Performance Official Grand Opening BMW Meet, May 6th 11A-3P -- Music, Food, Drawings and Tons of BMW's go to http://206.123.107.13/stett and register.. it's FREE
#7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 11:58 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thank you again I will post results as they become available…….
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)