3-Series (E46, E90)Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.
Hoping you can help, I've got a few problems with my car.
1. Sometimes, when I try to start my car, when I turn teh key it just 'clicks' in the lock, and doesn't work, However, the radio, headlights etc all work fine. If i simply attach jumpleads to the terminal under the hood it starts immeditely, no problems. Is this the battery? I've had it checked, and the battery is charging, the alternator is giving off 14 volts.
2. Recently, a few things happened to my car all at once. The indicator dash light on the dashboard, and the noise it makes stopped working. As did the cd changer in the boot (the radio says it;s not there), the wipers changing from full mode to intermittent automatically when you stop the car at traffic lights etc..., the other dashboard lights such as full beam, seatbelt not on, door still open etc...
I've checked all the fuses and they're all fine. Is it a loose wire? Has anyone else experienced it?
3. The car is extremely chuggy when i try to start it, regardless of weather etc..., I usually have to press on the accelerator to get it going. Should it be like this?
4. Ever since I bought the car, whenever I press the ASC button near the gearbox the engine warning light comes on the dash and stays on until i press the button again (over 2-3 mintues later). Any ideas what could be wrong with it?
1. could be the starter. if old the bendix spring hangs up, and just clicks but doeas not throw the starter gear onto the flywheel. alternatively week battery can give lights, but not enough juice to move the starter (unlikely).
2 and 4. weird ecu problem, coulb be a grounding strip loose somehwere. i really do not know.
3. define better and specify car and tranny type.
It's a 318i, manual transmission. The problem is when I try to start it, instead of me just turning the key in teh ignition and it roaring into life, it chugs for about 5 seconds before starting. If i don't press on the accelerator, it doesn't actually start at all. Then again, sometimes it starts perfectly. It's independant of the weather, as it happens in the cold and the warm. I am currently having teh fuel filter replaced, so fingers crossed.
As for the ecu thing, I'm thinking this as well. It's definately not the fuses, I've had a garage look over it for 2 hours now and they can't find the problem with it. Will the dealership be able to find it pretty quickly with their diagnosic computers? Any idea on a price for an ecu replacement?
As for teh clicking when it starts, I don't think it's a weak battery, because to test this I put the radio on and left the lights on for a good 20 minutes, and none of them went off or weakened. Plus, the battery is being charged by the alternator. I'm thinking starter motor - any ideas again on price / labour for fitting one?
about the asc button, is it the warning light, or the traction light between the guages. if it is the traction light that is supposed to stay on as long as the asc is turned off
__________________ <img src='http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/318ibmw318i/the_sig.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
signature designed by crisby_E30
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'> <span style='color:red'>Chairman</span>of the "BMW-Forums...Cant hack it? Go Whack it... " Mafia..."We'll take your shoes" </span></span>
The AutoGuide.com network consists of the largest network of enthusiast-owned enthusiast-operated automotive communities.
AutoGuide.com provides the latest car reviews, auto show coverage, new car prices, and automotive news. The AutoGuide network operates more than 100 automotive forums where our users consult peers for shopping information and advice, and share opinions as a community.