BMW Werkz banner

Precat Oxygen Sensor Repalcemnt, not so straignt forward

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Jack Dabsy 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 325i that I've had for about two years, it has about 90k miles and has the SES light on. It was diagnosed to have a bad precat o2 sensor. The part came in today and I went about replacing it following a very good DIY guide. ( Pre-cat Oxygen Sensor DIY (lots o pix) - E46Fanatics ) My problem is that the 02 sensor I received has a short plug just like in DIY, but one ones on my car (passenger side) has long plugs that wrap around the the back of the engine. I've looked at it over and over and there is no boot where the o2 sensor disconnects from the long wire going behind the engine. My car's o2 sensor is one long continuous wire from the o2 sensor running all the way around the engine. Suggestions?

#3 ·
Thanks for the input, after alot of investigating I found out that BMW made changes to their 3 series midway through the 2003 production year. Those cars made after April have a 2004 engine build so I really should have ordered an O2 sensor for an '04. Part comes in today, I'll post if it solves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.