possible water damage?? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:49 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rickus is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
possible water damage??

Hi guys

Yesterday I drove my 320d home in torrential rain. When I turned up a side street the water coming down the street was really bad. The car stuttered , but got me through the stream, and then promptly died. It wouldn't turn over (no warning lights on the dash, everything normal), so I called my dad for a tow home. While waiting for him I tried it a few times, and it actually caught once, then died again.

We got home, and I left it to dry out in the garage. After about an hour it caught and held, but it didn't sound happy. I left it running, hoping it would burn off any water that got into the exhaust, and after a while (a cloud of water vapour emanating from the exhaust), it started running smoothly.

I hoped that would be the end of it, but I am still worried, because this morning (starting it cold), it took a few seconds before it ran smoothly. I drove it to work, and experienced no problems, but starting it after work it did the same as this morning. When it's hot it goes normally, but...

If anyone can tell me whether I should be worried or patient I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 02:00 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Update:

This morning it caught on fine. I'm still going to replace all the filters and oil too this weekend. Still... Any comments or previous experience of the same?
#3 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 06:58 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Is there any sign of water having made it into your air filter box or beyond?

Riding in style
#4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 02:26 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I honestly cannot tell.

It ran smoothly these past two days. I guess what I want to know (cursing my inexperience and lack of knowledge) is would it run smoothly with damage to the diesel injectors or the turbo?
#5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 09:06 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Normally if you get water into a diesel engine you'll know about it (one way or another). If it has come good then maybe you just got one of the external electronic sensors wet, and its dried out now. Keep your fingers crossed and maybe don't wind it up too much for another few days.

Riding in style
#6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:20 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Saturday I took it to a BMW mechanic. I had the oil, oil filter, air filter and enjin breather replaced. The mechanic told me he could not find any trace of water making it to the filter. He also assured me that if water did make it into the enjin, I would know about it.

Thanx for the advice!
#7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:25 AM
42, The meaning of life

Job done. If nothing else the engine is all serviced now. Good luck with it from here.

Riding in style
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)