BMW Werkz banner

Please Help! Rough idle and stalling after oil change. 2006 330xi

14K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  94BMW325i 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am new here, and would greatly appreciate any feedback on the problem I seem to be having.

-I have a 2006 BMW 330xi with 58,000 miles. I changed the oil yesterday and when I went to start the car after changing the oil, the car idled "roughly" (with the RPM's jolting between 1000-1800 every second or so). This lasted about 5 seconds before stalling. (Car was totally fine prior to oil change)

-I started the car again, and immediately it did the rough-idle again, so I gave it a little gas (up 2300 RPM) and then it was fine. Backed it out of the garage and parked it.

-Today, the same thing happened all over again....rough idle and stalling within about 5-7 seconds of being in "park." Didn't try driving it.

-No check engine light has come on.

-I removed and replaced the oil reservoir cap thinking that perhaps it wasn't on correctly. I had a some trouble getting it screwed back on, but I'm almost positive it's on there correctly. The oil filter cap also seems to be on there tightly.

-Tried to start it again and the whole rough idle/stall thing happened AGAIN! :facepalm

-Still no check engine light. This is the 4th time I've changed my oil (with no previous problems).

What am I missing? I'm so frustrated!!

Not sure if it matters, but I might as well mention it:
- For the past couple months I've also been having some oil leakage onto the stiffening plate under the car and the smell of burning oil (??) for the initial 10 seconds after I start the car after having it sit overnight...but this smell only occurs on approx 10-20% of starts.
When I look under the hood, a tiny bit of oil seems to be on one of the 1/8" black corrugated plastic tubes that come from the front of the engine. A service advisor mentioned that it could be a bad head gasket cover, but he said he wasn't sure. Of course, he wouldn't tell me how to remove the cosmetic plastic engine cover so I could take a closer look. Grrr. So, I haven't gotten very far with that.

I greatly appreciate any help/advice you can provide. Hopefully some day I can return the favor and be of help to you!
:)

See less See more
#4 ·
Maybe you've disturbed the air intake hose/sensor sounds like you've a leak in the inlet system which will cause the rough idle. check the large rubber pipe that runs from the air filter into the top of the engine for leaks. The cosmetic covers come off by pressing in the little round "buttons" that you will see on them, then lifting the whole cover up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.