BMW Werkz banner

Plastic parts

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  drz 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I am just wondering if you folks are having a problem with a lot of the plastic interior breaking in your cars. I bought a 2000 323IT a few months ago, over all I am very happy with the car and the way it runs. But there seems to be a lot of the plastics in the car breaking. So far I have had the right side cover for the cargo net attachment point come off and break, the sun shade for the moon roof broke the over day on a trip, one time it worked fine, the next time it did not. I took it apart and the screws for the left side mounts stripped out of the plastic. I have had to replace the drivers door window track assy. The clip for the drivers side sun visor broke.
thanks.....

#3 ·
After buying a new one from the dealer with all the attaching hardware it would seem that who ever had the car before me desided to use the old style clips instead of the new style. the old ones have the holes closer together on the left (drivers) side and the new one have them farther apart. That being the case they had to screw the screws into plain plastic instead of metal. Hopefully this will be the last one......

#4 ·
Im not an expert but I would agree with you. The plastic trim on my 02 is coming unglued & my sunroof visor is already broke, my buddy has an 00 323 and his visor is broken as well... I thik unless your car is new from the dealer- this is part of the BMW ownership experience...

#6 ·
Oh yeah. my1999 540i has many plastic falling apart issues. The grill, headlights, door handles, seat buttons, air control buttons, anything black...just rots and falls apart. My wife hates this car and I still love it!

My 1984 Volvo is all original sits, in the Florida sun all day long and I have never had any plastic break.

BMW falls far short of my expectations with regard to body part quality (plastic only) Other than this I love the way the car drives and for now just put up with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.