BMW Werkz banner

Passenger's Mirror Tilt Problem

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  rsn48 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 330CiC 6spd. The passenger's side rear view mirror is supposed to tilt down when in reverse, but only works intermittently. The selector switch is always in the drivers side position. If I adjust the pass mirror then switch the selector back to the drivers's side, the tilt feature will work for a day or so - then doesn't work at all. If I repeat the process it will start to work again. Anybody seen this before and have an easy fix or explanation? I am trying to save another trip to the dealer - last time I couldn't duplicate the problem - the $%#@ thing worked perfectly! :banghead

#2 ·
Originally posted by Red 330CiC@Oct 19 2004, 02:31 PM
I have a 2004 330CiC 6spd. The passenger's side rear view mirror is supposed to tilt down when in reverse, but only works intermittently. The selector switch is always in the drivers side position. If I adjust the pass mirror then switch the selector back to the drivers's side, the tilt feature will work for a day or so - then doesn't work at all. If I repeat the process it will start to work again. Anybody seen this before and have an easy fix or explanation? I am trying to save another trip to the dealer - last time I couldn't duplicate the problem - the $%#@ thing worked perfectly! :banghead
[snapback]214142[/snapback]​
I have a 2003 330xi that does the exact same thing. Took it into the dealer and of course it was working perfectly. They more or less implied I had the mirror switch in the wrong position, and found nothing wrong with the mirror. It happens intermittently for me, so I've given up on it until it fails completely.

#3 ·
Originally posted by Mick330xi+Oct 19 2004, 02:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mick330xi @ Oct 19 2004, 02:26 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Red 330CiC@Oct 19 2004, 02:31 PM
I have a 2004 330CiC 6spd.  The passenger's side rear view mirror is supposed to tilt down when in reverse, but only works intermittently.  The selector switch is always in the drivers side position.  If I adjust the pass mirror then switch the selector back to the drivers's side, the tilt feature will work for a day or so - then doesn't work at all.  If I repeat the process it will start to work again.  Anybody seen this before and have an easy fix or explanation?  I am trying to save another trip to the dealer - last time I couldn't duplicate the problem - the $%#@ thing worked perfectly! :banghead
[snapback]214142[/snapback]​
I have a 2003 330xi that does the exact same thing. Took it into the dealer and of course it was working perfectly. They more or less implied I had the mirror switch in the wrong position, and found nothing wrong with the mirror. It happens intermittently for me, so I've given up on it until it fails completely.
[snapback]214173[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

I have a 2000 328ci and I had a similar problem. The mirror would move when I went in reverse but would return to position slightly higher than where I originally had it set. After enough reverses I was looking up at truck drivers' faces. I went into the dealer on several occasions and they of course could not duplicate. Then in the Spring of '04 they applied a software upgrade and the problem no longer exists. I would suggest telling them to install a software upgrade and see what happens...good luck...the new i-drive for the 7,6, and 5 series ha had problems as well. It will probably become standard in the new 3 series...yippee

#4 ·
I have a 2000 328ci and I had a similar problem. The mirror would move when I went in reverse but would return to position slightly higher than where I originally had it set. After enough reverses I was looking up at truck drivers' faces. I went into the dealer on several occasions and they of course could not duplicate. Then in the Spring of '04 they applied a software upgrade and the problem no longer exists. I would suggest telling them to install a software upgrade and see what happens...good luck...the new i-drive for the 7,6, and 5 series ha had problems as well. It will probably become standard in the new 3 series...yippee
[snapback]215426[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I-Drive is supposed to be an option on the e90, although I imagine few cars will come without it.
Ben

#5 ·
My suggestion is to print out this thread to show that it is not only happening to you, but to others as well. If there is a "software upgrade" then something must have come out about it. Somewhere on the net, I found a complete listing in all recalls and service bulletins for the e39's; maybe something like that exists.

If you take in testimonials from others that they too are having like problems, it is harder to ignore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.