Ongoing Vibration Problem. Pleeeeease help!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:03 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jared99 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question Ongoing Vibration Problem. Pleeeeease help!!

I have a 2001 E46 318 Auto. I've had a hassle with vibrations for ages now and in the process replacement many different parts. I'd like to ask if anyone knows what all (anything at all!!!) could cause a vibration? I have a feeling its the control arm bushes but my mechanic reckons it cant cause a vibration.

Please if anyone knows, let me know. I'll be extremely grateful. This vibration is making me doubt my sanity. lol

Last edited by jared99; 11-12-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:25 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Are the wheels balanced rightly? It could also be bad tires.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:47 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Well, I'm assuming the wheels are balanced properly. I'll never know for sure. I had new mags and tyres fitted at the same time so I hope so.
Its been such a long, ongoing issue. I've been back and forth to tyre shops at least 10 times already but nobody can seem to sort it out 100%.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:12 AM
n00b

bkpiper00 is on a distinguished road
I would try a balance the wheels with no tires. If they balance then its the tires. This happened on my c-4 vette. I could never get it to stop shaking and vibrating and they took it to discount tire and they checked the tires and thats how they fixed it.

Hope it helps.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:21 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thanks!

Ill give that a try
#6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:28 PM
2nd Gear Member

zibby is an unknown quantity at this point
Change control arm bushing and stabilizer links.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 03:14 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
#8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 11:33 AM
n00b

stewby22020 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up vibration

I changed the pads on my 2000 328 ci and immediately i had same problem,found it was the calipers/pads.give them a good overhaul and clean up and used copaslip anti seize on the rear of the pads and hydraulic drum, runners (where the pads sits) but main thing was to insure the calipers were moving freely.that did it for me.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 06:48 PM
2nd Gear Member

Steve323i99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Tool View Post
What he said.

You mentioned that the wheels and tyres were changed? Recently? Did the problems manifest before or after the new wheels? Are the wheels OEM or aftermarket?

UUC TSE3 | ST V1 coilovers | TMS sways | CSL replicas 18"x8.5" | ATE slotted rotors w/ Axxis USP | Clear lights all around
#10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 04:31 PM
n00b

bbryant is on a distinguished road
I had the same thing happen to me when I purchased my 2000 323i. A small vib on acceleration felt in the steering wheel to around 60 mph or so. But on braking the vib was much worse,steering wheel shaking on braking, heavy or not. (Rotors) The porshe dealer that I bought this from installed new front rotors and pads, part of the deal. That made it worse. Took it to a BMW dealership (ouch), Found out that aftermarket rotors and pads were installed. Dealer installed BMW rotors and pads and was great. But the real issue was the vib, the control arm bushings were replaced, let me tell you after that, the car drives like its on glass baby, Best 9 yr old car I ever had, drives like new, no joke. Check the the steering and arm bushings,I would almost guarantee you thats the issue.
#11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 08:50 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Seems like the problem/problems have been found. Holding thumbs..

Ive recently had my car checked out from top to bottom and it turns out almost every single bush on the rear suspension is worn. Diff mounts are also worn as well as front control arm bushes (ive already had those replaced twice). Right rear shock is also leaking. Steering racks end are slightly worn too.

So any one of things could of been causing the issue...

This whole situation just proves that you have to trust yourself when you feel something is wrong and don't just accept when a mechanic or whoever says nothing is wrong. Ive taken my car to many different places and each of them puts the blame on someone else or are just too damn lazy to do a thorough check on the car. I've even had an agent from Goodyear drive in my car and all he can say is that I'm feeling the bumps on the road. Yeah right!! He's just too damn lazy or incompetent to do anything about it.
I've also taken my car to a roadworthy centre were they put the car on a machine that flexes and moves certain parts of the suspension. They couldn't pick up any faults either. Absolutely pathetic!!!!

I had to tell my mechanic that I'm prepared to pay his hourly rate if he checks over the WHOLE car for ANYTHING that might be wrong. Took him a few hours to go through the whole car. Seems like thats the best way to get something sorted.

Anyways, that enough ranting for me.
Thanks for all the responses. Its really appreciated. Seems like things are finally going to be sorted out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)